Long-term effects of low-fibre/low-residue diet

Fri Jun 13 23:45:18 2003

Hello, I suffer from adhesions in the small intestine following abdominal surgery at the age of 8 days. (I'm now 34.) Throughout my life, I suffered from painful recurring obstructions of the small intestine. Treatment typically involved a 2-week stay in the hospital, an NG tube, and "nil by mouth." It was not until about ten years ago that I discovered, through trial and error, that certain fruits and vegetables (and the way they were cooked or not cooked) caused these obstructions. (No, at no point during my numerous stays in hospitals did any doctor tell me to avoid high-fibre/residue foods.) So, for the last ten years, I have basically avoided most fruits and vegetables. (About 3 months ago, I decided to go out on a limb and eat half a peeled, ripe apple. Within hours, I was doubled over in pain, pain that lasted 3 days!) I know that it is recommended that an individual consumes about 5 portions of fruit and veg a day... I am lucky if I consume that much in a month!

My concern now is, long-term, what would this do to my health? I take multivitamin supplements... but I am concerned that the total lack of fiber in my diet might make me a candidate for colon cancer and other diseases in the future.

Thank you. Jennifer

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: