Member from UKAS Message board

Sun Jul 20 15:49:32 2003

Hi Everyone, I would appreciate it if some of you could write to this Lady and tell her how to join in the IAS support forum. Her name is Judy Phillips UKAS Member number 56 she is from Montreal Canada her E-Mail address is Cloudcat1@aol.com About 17 years ago, I had a complete hysterectomy as I had severe endometriosis. Starting in 1999 and for 2-1/2 years, I (somehow) repeatedly got myself into the hospital's ER vomiting and in excruciating pain. Each time I was X-Rayed and told there was nothing wrong with me - even after extensive testing by the hospital's chief of surgery. In Oct. 2001, after many, many, many attacks during which I would pray (to whomever) to "let me die" I once again took myself to the ER where they did a CT Scan and told me I had a tumour completely blocking my colon and would need surgery. After the surgery, I woke up with a colostomy and shortly thereafter was given radiation treatments as the tumour was malignant and the lymph nodes had tested positive. One week after returning home, the vomiting and pain returned and I was taken back to the hospital (by ambulance) whereupon it was decided I was suffering from adhesions. 4 days later after eating some Jell-O and keeping it down, they sent me home again. In Nov. of 2002 I was once again rushed into the ER - more adhesions. The ng tube went in again, I fasted and 6 days later, as the adhesions did not want to open up on their own, my surgeon operated to remove them. At the same time, she re-connected my colostomy but was unable to let the bowels "work" as radiation damage to the intestines is severe and permanent, so she gave me an ileostomy (the output from which left my skin with 2nd degree burns...). My ileostomy was reversed in March 2003 and the ensuing diaharrea was long lived and quite spectactular. I still sometimes get the runs. My biggest problem, however, is the adhesions. I've had to return to hospital twice since my ileostomy reversal with partial blockages which have, thankfully, cleared up on their own, but, of course, must endure the ng tube and the drip on each visit. It is good to know I am "not alone" in this as no one I know has ever heard of "adhesions" before and I think some doubt my sanity. Life is difficult to say the least, and I'm trying to prepare myself to quit my job (which, at my age (58) is a HUGE decision as I probably won't get another one) because my boss is becoming VERY perturbed at my frequent absence (even tho' he's never paid me if I'm not at the office....) I truly believe I do everything in my power to avoid aggravating the situation by sticking to a light, soft diet but if anyone can give me advice as to specific foods to avoid (I'm a vegetarian) I'd really appreciate it. As well, I was shocked at the memorial to Teresa who passed away at such an early age. Is this common? So far, I've been led to believe that adhesions are at best and only a nuisance and life-disrupting annoyance. I can't imagine how Teresa must have suffered..... Thanks to anyone who

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: