Re: New and Lost and Confused

Wed Jul 23 09:27:32 2003

SusieQM-smart woman-lots of Sue's here,

I had surgery for adhesions 10-02 and the Dr. also removed my rt ovary which was covered w/adhisions previously cut. Hard for eggs to erupt out of ovary-very painful. They found I had part of my intestines plastered against my hip wall. I had few and painful BMs, major bloating (someone thought I was PG) and sleep issues just like you described. Take this print out to your Dr. I am not a Dr. and do not profess to be one-but the Barrier did help me. I still take a stool softener, because it cuts the bloating and makes my BM's regular-I never was a regular girl! However, the pain is such that I can function w/out pain meds. I ask, what would it hurt? Isn't it worth a try? (use of Barrier) There, that's my 2 cents. Best of luck to you and your surgeon! Sue Z

SusieQM <hs_susieqm@hotmail.com> wrote: I am new here, but not new to suffering from adhesions. I had a laparoscopic hyster 3/02. Developed adhesions and had them cut 4/03, at that time the gyn found bad adhesions where my colon was adhered to my abdominal wall. I was pain free until the last few weeks. The same pain, in the same area has returned. It is not as bad yet as before the lysis, but each week I notice it more and more. I understand that with each surgery is the chance of re-occurance, but I am confused about a few things.

My doctor believes that because I was able to be totally pain free for almost two months, that going in for another laparoscopy and lysis is not a bad idea. The thing he said that is confusing is that he said a follow up laparoscopy would have a cumulative affect on the level of pain. That even if the adhesions returned the pain would be less than pre lysis. Does this sound right? Has anyone had this experience.

Also, he seems to think I would not benefit from a barrier since my adhesion problem mainly involves the colon adhering to the abdominal wall, and there is not a close proximity to warrant use. He tends to use them when the organs are close in proximity. Again, does this sound right?

I told him that I would like to do the follow up in November THIS year, since I have met my insurance deductibles and such, and work wise that is better for me. My only hope is that I can wait that long, and he will help me if I need medicine... My main pain is at night... I can't lay on my back or right side for any long period without the pain vamping up. So my sleep is being affected big time. I fear that if I wait too long, that my colon will end up damaged and then I need further surgery more involved.

I would appreciate any insight that anyone can give me in my quest to just find out and figure out what I should or should not be doing... Thanks...

--
SusieQM

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: