Re: Adhesions and Crohn's Disease

Sat Aug 2 00:30:13 2003

Mary, I had also been told I had Crohn's Disease about 30 years ago. He had done every horrible test imaginable, said it showed on them, so of course I believed him. All his meds and diet did was mess me up much worse, and I never got better (steroids, nerve pills etc, etc). I was a walking zombie until he was done with me because every time I said I still had pains and problems he increased my meds again. I finally quit all his meds on my own!

It wasn't until after being hospitalized by him several times for more tests and treatment I finally demanded exploratory surgery and the new doctor/surgeon found I was loaded with adhesions. So....what I am saying is, I don't even know now if I have or ever had Crohn's Disease because my pains had gone away after that surgeon lysed the adhesions, I felt wonderful!

I have had the same tests he did many times since and yet no doctor has ever mentioned Crohns disease since that time. They will blame it on anything "except" adhesions so you have to be careful believing everything. Of course adhesions usually come back so I have had 4 adhesion surgeies since then, usually last a few years in-between.

Maybe you really do have Crohn's Disease if the meds do help you but that was my experience. I did have multiple surgeries prior to forming adhesions. I don't know if it could cause adhesions or not but from what I was told Crohn's Disease is "inside" of your bowel, not the outside, so I wouldn't tend to think so. If anything causes inflammation outside of the bowel and in the abdomen and/or pelvis it can cause adhesions; any injury, surgery or inflammation can.

Adhesions can and do most often return, within days or even years your symptoms can come back.

Hope this helps! JEAN

At Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Mary Clouse wrote: >
>I was just wondering if anyone had experienced adhesions possibly
>related to Crohn's disease. I have Crohn's, and have been pretty stable
>for years, but last year developed a pain in my groin area. I had cat
>scan and they detected that my abdominal lymph nodes were swollen so
>they did a laparoscopy. The lymph nodes were swollen and reddish, but
>no cancerous. Then I got different insurance and went to a different
>doctor. She sent me to a surgeon who did another laparoscopy but this
>time he went down to the groin area, and there were two large adhesions.
>He cut them out but said he could not cauterize the areas because it
>could damage nerves. So now I hope they are not growing back. The
>whole thing is strange. Please email me if you have had a similar
>history.
>
>Thanks!

--
Jean (from PA)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: