Re: No More Hysterectomies...Susan's Story

Tue Aug 12 11:32:25 2003

At Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Colette wrote: >
>At Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Helen Dynda wrote:
>> This story was so true! I had a hysterectomy on dec.1 2000. I was told since i kept my overies that i would not go into menopause, well guess what i am going into menopause at 37 yrs old. I also was'nt told of all the after evfects from the surgery. It seems to me that these doctors just want there money! What ever happen to caring for your patients? I also had adnomyosis(enlargement of the uterus) and its a form of endometrosis i was told that my bowel problems would be cured after the surgery! Ya right now at night i have to drink milk of magnasie,2 tyenol pms, and prevacid everynight before i go to bed. I do go to the potty ok now but i have to take stuff to do soo and the gi dr says i have a slow moving bowel, thanks to the hysterectomy ohh well i live with it now. But i do hope other woman will get more opions before having this surgery!
>
>>Susan's Story
>>
>>Regarding my tubal ligation, the doctor told me that the surgery was very
>>safe ( much safer then giving birth and I had just done that twice ),
>>that insurance would pay for it, that all women had one when they completed
>>their families and that I shouldn't be on the pill at my age.
>>I was given a printed brochure about the surgery and told to call when I was
>>ready.
>>
>>I was not informed of the risks. I had asked some pretty specific and
>>direct questions, such as will this surgery cause me to become menopausal.
>>The doctor defrauded me telling me the surgery was safe and that the surgery
>>would not cause menopause. If he had told me that there was a connection
>>with tubals and early menopause, or even if he had told me that tubals
>>usually cause hormonal imbalances and that in order to correct this I might
>>end up on the pill, I would have said "no way".
>>
>>I trusted him. I though he had my best interests in mind ( before and after
>>my TL ). I thought that he was telling me the truth and that it was against
>>the law for doctors to lie.
>>
>>I was not warned that the surgery is known to cause hormonal conditions or
>>early menopause. I certainly was not informed that I'd be castrated.
>>
>>I met Dr. Hufnagel February of '98 when my lawyer contacted her to do a
>>legal review for me. I had no idea who she was or what direction this all
>>was taking me.
>>
>>The more I learned from Dr. Hufnagel and Grateful Med, facts such as doctors
>>know that this ( castration ) is a common and well known risk of tubal
>>ligations well understood by the "medical community" ( and has so for a long
>>time ), but that this information is not shared with the general public or
>>with women such as I who undergo tubal ligations, the more angry I got. I
>>felt and still do feel as though I was abused and raped, mentally and
>>physically.
>>
>>I started off wanting justice and financial assistance with my doctor
>>created, negative health condition which requires that I now be on hormone
>>therapy for the rest of her life. More so I felt a very strong duty to stop
>>the doctor who did this to me from injuring other women.
>>
>>My journey for truth and justice on a personal level has taken me down many
>>paths. Becoming a 'women health rights activist' just kind of
>>happened with my getting to know Dr. Hufnagel, learning the issues first
>>hand.
>>
>>I never could have written or felt confident about building the tubal site
>>with out the help and support of Dr. Hufnagel. and the saving grace of the
>>"freedom of information act". The Coalition just kind of came out of no
>>where and blossomed into a full blown movement"
>>
>>Dr Hufnagel was instrumental in creating the first laws regarding consent to
>>hysterectomies. Call it fate or call it chance that she and I met. My goal
>>now is to see that laws are created to protect women and Dr. Hufnagel has
>>offered to help. The Coalition was formed in order to ban together women to
>>create these laws, to educate post tubal women and pre-tubal women about the
>>real risks and side effects, and to educate the world that this crime of
>>fraud ( non-consent ) and battery is on-going and real.
>>
>>No one is going to fight to create TL laws but us, we the women who have
>>been victimized, injured, lied to and who are mad and outrage we
>>were not informed. No one else cares.
>>
>>Currently the Coalition is putting together a national "post tubal ligation
>>study" which will be discussed at the post tubal site as time goes by. We
>>are also organizing and scheduling an educational program and champaign.
>>
>>This is history in the making. Someday our daughters and
granddaughters >>will look back on this women's hormonal holocaust in horror and wonder how
>>it was able to go one for so long.
>>
>>If you are a post tubal ligation woman please stop by the site and see what
>>we are all about. We often hear comments such as, "I thought that
>>the tubal affected me for years, now I know".
>>
>>Come and learn. Be part of the movement.

Dear Susan, I gave birth to my 3rd child, last September. He was early. Unfortunately by doctor wasn't able to deliver him. My son was due Oct 13th and came Sept. 22. I had not discussed birth control methods with him for after the birth. Although, I heard that we should have had a consultation sometime around the 6th month about what I wanted to do about birth control. To make a long story short, I went into premature labor, everything was going fine, but the baby was side ways and they did an emergency c-section. Before the c-section, the nurse asked my husband and I if we wanted to have a tubal done. I wasn't sure because it wasn't fully discussed so I declined at that time. I didn't want to sign anything at that point. I had just found out I was having a c-section for the first time!!! Well, after getting set up for the emergency c-section, right before they begin, the one of the surgeons begins arguing about having to be called down for surgery by student or someone, and he shouldn't have to be there, etc.) She asks me again, I wasn't sure so she said to sign a blank sheet just in case, so if I changed my mind, it would already be signed. Well, they had a hard time getting the uterus in, they said it was extra large, the doctor told me that "you should really go on and have a tubal done. You already have 3 children now. If you decide to come back, we'll have to cut you all over again." I was terrified. I felt like I was wrong for having 3 children, as if 3 were way too many, as if I should be ashamed for even considering wanting more. It was awful. I was laying there wanting to see my baby, with my uterus lying on my stomach and he says, "we can do it now, I've got her uterus out on the table already." I looked at the nurse and said "if he thinks it's best, I guess it will be ok. Do I have anything to worry about as I look at my husband? No, it's a simple procedure, and most mothers my age with the number of children I have have this done." I want to tell you that from the time it happened, I went into a depression. I cried for months, I couldn't sleep, I felt like I was going crazy. I called my doctor and his nurse several times about it. They gave me samples of Zoloft and said it wasn't because of the tubal, but because I had just had a baby. I'd never experienced it before. I took extra weeks off from work. I just couldn't get it together. I told my doctor I didn't want it done but I felt pressured to to do it. He said I'd be ok, and I'd get over it. Then my cycles began and they are horrible. So heavy, and so much pressure. I wish I had been informed about the procedure, the side effects, etc. I wish they had not asked me about it when I was in so much confusion and worry. I wish they would give mothers an appropriate time to discuss it and have time. I wish I had not agreed with them. I am not the same person. I am struggling with hurt and guilt...and to not feel so negative about a doctor my actual doctor intrusted me with. I feel so violated. I have now been diagnosed as having fibroids and adenomyosis. I never had any of it before. Will you tell me if you feel I was treated unfairly? Do you feel my best interest was considered? I wanted to find help. My husband wanted to find a lawyer, but again I felt guilty. The nurse at my doctor's office told me they couldn't find the form stating we had discussed birthcontrol. What would you do?

Trying to accept the pain, Nicole

--
Trying To Accept the Pain,
Nicole

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: