Re: Please a good pain med with out urinary retention

Sun Sep 7 11:46:55 2003

Checkers, I know what you mean about diarrhea side affects being "good" side affects-LOL!

If anyone needs meds for heartburn and /or Gerd "Prilosec" is excellent and has the side affects of diarrhea which is an added plus (for me anyway). The new updated version Nexxium isn't as good as Prilosec (my experience & also a friend's).

I am "ultra" sensitive to all meds but can take Oxycontin for my pain for some reason. It is a narcotic though and that's why doctors fought with me to take something for 2 years before I gave in because pain got to be too much to handle anymore. Gotta do what you gotta do and nothing else worked. I don't have an addictive nature (other than cigs-LOL), never did illegal drugs and don't even drink so I'm not really concerned. I "never" abuse my meds or take more than prescribed or permitted by my doctor.

When taking narcotics "for pain", as it was intended for you don't generally get addicted. You may become "dependent", same as a diabetic is dependent on their meds. Now I can stay out of bed for hours at a time and function a little bit anyway, enough to run my business part-time. Doesn't completely take the pain away but makes it bearable,(due to low dose).

I vomit with all other pain meds and even antibiotics (even with taking nausea pills). I do take 1 nausea pill per day (Phenergan) but can get by on that as long as I don't increase my pain meds farther than 20mg twice a day. You do have to watch with taking Phenergan because it causes depression (with me anyway) so I make sure not to take more than 1 per day or get too depressed from them. Tried other nausea pills but didn't work for me. I'm fine with only one a day. I do take them with food and milk and must also occassionally eat toast to settle my stomach.

I haven't had the urinary problems you have had though so don't have that to compare. JEAN (from PA)

At Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Nancy wrote: >
>I had good luck with a pain med called Ultram. It's not the best pain
>killer, but the side effects were minimal. For me it was a good
>compromise. Pain was manageable and the side effects weren't as bad as
>the pain. Plus it didn't cause the "narcotic feel" that others caused.
>
>At Sat, 6 Sep 2003, checkers wrote:
>>
>>We are messing with my pain meds again. Vicodin for breakthru is not
>>doing it but when I tried oxyfast (liquid) it worked great but after a
>>few days it caused me to have to cath urine out. Trickles all day and
>>when I did cath I had 650cc of urine that was stuck inside me, and I
>>don't wish to travel that road.
>>Duragesgesic patch did them same thing and ended up being cathed in er.
>>Any suggestions for a strong breakthru that does not have urinary
>>retention as a side effect but haha if it had dirrahea for a side effect
>>that would be great believe it or not.
>>Thanks,
>>Checkers

--
Jean (from PA)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: