Re: Difficulties after bowel obstruction surgery/adhesions

Thu Oct 16 22:42:07 2003

Hi Tracy, As you probably know adhesions can return after any abdominal surgery, so firstly I would advise you, as one adhesion sufferer to another, not to have any more surgery unless you are in a life-threatening condition. If you do have an overgrowth of bacteria in your bowel,your doctor may suggest a long course of anti-biotics. This happened to me and they did help but antibiotics also kill off the good bacteria that you need for a healthy digestive system! While I was on these antibiotics, I also took probiotics which you can buy at any health food shops. These recolonise your bowel with the good bugs and you should take these for a good while after finishing the antibiotics. Another solution is to eat yogurts that have a live culture in them-I think it's called acidophilus. I hope these suggestions help you-I am not a doctor but have gone through the same problems as you!, Jane Davies

Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 4:32 AM Subject: Difficulties after bowel obstruction surgery/adhesions Sender: lcwaffles2@aol.com (LISA) >

I had a myomectomy and apendectomy one year ago. Eight weeks ago I had surgery for adhesions and full bowel obstruction. Since the surgery, I have had extreme diarreah alternating with constipation. It doesn't matter-not that I can see- what I eat. I went back to the surgeon and he told me to take pepto-bismol. Gee I hope he has the runs for eight weeks...But anyway, I went to my primary care and they are doing tests for bacteria overgrowth in my intestines. Does anyone have any suggestion on diet- or has had a similar expeiance?

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: