Surgery pending

From: International Adhesions Society (tracy.joslin@adhesions.org)
Thu Nov 6 22:39:40 2003

From: Booboolrb@aol.com [mailto:Booboolrb@aol.com] Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 10:58 PM Subject: Surgery pending

I am very new to this board, but have been reading alots of messages regarding adhesions around the colon. I have been suffering since October 2002. I went to a surgeon then and he told me I needed surgery, but I work for OB/GYN's (four) and they all agreed that if I can, to try and avoid the surgery because, surgery itself will cause more adhesions. I had an ectopic pregnancy the rupture in 1989, 2 laparoscopies and finally a complete hysterrectomy. But, now for the last 3 weeks I have been having extreme problems having a bowel movement. I have been using the new drug "Zelnorm" twice a day. I have also used Benefiber (worked for a few months) I use suppositories and even have taken up to 5 table spoons of Milk of Magnesia, none of them worked. Now, I have to give myself an enama about every three days. The pain is in my lower left quadrant. I can live with the pain, but not being able to have a bowel movement is driving me crazy. A year ago my mother was still alive but was dying and I just could not bring myself to be laid up and not be there to help her. But, sadly she passed away May 31, 2003. So, after suffering for the last year and especially in the last 3 weeks, I finally went to the surgeon tonight. I am scheduled for a laparoscopy, possible laparotomy, possible bowel resection November 19.

I am very nervous and concerned. I completly trust my surgeon, but he was honest enough to say that there is a possiblity of the adhesions returning of up to 50%. It is very frustrating. The doctors I work for and my surgeon all believe the pain I am having is definately from adhesions. Last year I had a colonoscopy and the doctor could not insert the scope all the way due to the restriction. I feel very fortunate that I have not had to have this surgery before now. I realize I have just been babbling on, so I guess I am asking other adhesion suffer's to just wish me luck and good health. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Becky

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: