Re: Severe Abdominal Pain

Wed Dec 3 07:39:05 2003

I have had six surgeries and now believe that almost everything can be done laparoscopically. Unfortunately, seprafilm is supposed to be only for open surgeries. During my last surgery, however, the surgeon ground up a bunch of seprafilm then added saline solution to form a gel. He was able to squirt this substance in through the laparoscope opening. I'm only about 4 months post op, so I don't know what my long term prognosis is. I feel pretty good now. Given my history, the doctor agreed that we needed to try something more than good laparoscopic technique. There are definitely a few (very few) doctors who specialize in this problem. I traveled to Pennsylvania for my last surgery. Take the time to find someone who does several of these procedures each week.

In the meantime, I had luck with occasional use of magnesium citrate to relieve the constipation. I am sure that you are aware that the narcotics that you are taking make the constipation worse. I had pretty good luck with a pain killer called Ultram. It wasn't the best pain reliever, but the side effects were more manageable.

Good luck!

--
Nancy

At Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Roger wrote: > >Hello, >I am a 39 year old male with a history of abdominal adhesions. I am >active duty Air Force. In June 1996, I had laparoscopy nissen >fundoplication for GERD. After the surgery, I had difficulty >swallowing. After several upper GIs and esophagogastroduodenoscopy with >dilations, I had open abdominal surger to take down the nissen and do a >toupee fundoplication in March 1997. This surgery corrected the >difficulty swallowing, however, in late 1999, I started experiencing >severe abdominal pain........

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: