Appendectomy, bowel movement/pelvic pain

Tue Mar 9 21:12:29 2004

What a nightmare....

Until a year ago I was a perfedctly healthy 30-something year old male without a care in the world. A year ago I was admitted to the hospital with a fever and BAD pain in my abdomen..... EVENTUALLY they realized I had a perforated appendix. So off to the operating room I went and out the little bugger came. I was in the hospital for a week and on all KINDS of antibiotics for over 2 months as they just couldn't keep the fever away.

Not long after the operation, I started to develop EXCRUCIATING pain just before a bowel movement to the point where I would double over in pain. I brought me to tears it was so bad.... And I have it to THIS DAY..... exactly a YEAR after surgery.

Now, I have pain when I move/site/walk from my appendix scar down to my groin and it seems my whole pelvis (and lower back) just simply HURTS no matter what I do. Also, I'm unable to sleep because I tend to end up on my side and the pain in my pelvis/hips is so bad it wakes me up and I can't sleep the rest of the night.

I had a colonoscopy 6 months ago which came back NORMAL. Numerous CAT scans of the abdomen/pelvis have always been normal with the exception of a small amount of fluid early on after the surgery.

I let the whole thing just go (I gave up and though I was nuts) until recently when I decided to fight back and get new doctors. Well, my new gastro took another series of CAT scans that came back normal with the exception of what he called a "narrowing" of the small intestine "Near the site of the appendectomy". He didn't feel it was of consequence but did say he didn't feel it was an obstruction.

SO... off I went to the Neurologist who heard me out and mentioned "Adhesions" as a possible cause of all this pain.

I had never heard of them and Now I'm wondering.... has anyone else gone though something like this and is there any solution? The lack of sleep is killing me more than the pain! She's doing more tests, is going to talk to the gastroenterologist and today prescribed Elavil 10mg before bed (20mg after a week) and said it would help with the sleep and pain. Any thoughs would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: