Adhesions - Just found out!

Thu Mar 11 07:00:56 2004

My abdominal pain started long ago, before I ever had a surgery. I can remember cramping and irregular bowel problems as early as 10 or 11 years of age on a regular basis. At the age of 20 I had my first surgery for a burst appendix. This resulted in having my insides scrubbed out. After this surgery, I had irregular periods and was told I had a medium size cyst on my left ovary. This was left as it was, I was told I probably would not have a problem with it, or it might rupture on its own, but it would not risk my health. At the age of 24 I had my first child by C-section and 2 years later my second child by C-section. My OB/GYN never mentioned adhesions after either of these surgeries. He just told me I probably shouldn't have any more children. This was 1992. From that time until the fall of 2003, I had terrible periods, pain with my bowels, and felt terrible most of the time. My husband and my children didn't understand the pain I was living with. He resented it and I am sure my children did too. Mommy was always sick, or didn't feel well.

My GYN thought I had a thickening of my uterus and did tests, but came to no conclusion. If I didn't have this and they gave me a hysterectomy anyway, my insurance might not pay for it. Many years later I heard of a new procedure that ablated the inside of the uterus with hot water. I thought this might be an easy cure for my problems. For this procedure, I needed an ultrsound. When I was having this done, a large (orange sized) dermoid cyst was found on my left ovary and a smaller (golfball sized) cyst on my right ovary. I was told these needed to be removed as soon as possible, there was a risk of a rupture of the dermoid cyst, which contained hair, cells, skin and a large molar (YES A TOOTH, HOW GROSS). I had the surgery. During, it was found that I was full of adhesions. All of my intestines, ovaries, uterus, lower left kidney, and lower part of my liver were stuck together. It took 3 surgeons 6 hours to pick my insides apart. I have a 2 foot scar running up and down my stomach.

I am still experiencing a LOT of pain, irritable bowels, diarrhea and vomiting. I use Hydrocodone for the pain, but I feel that just screws my bowels up too. I have thought of going on a pure liquid diet. Has there been any research on adhesions and keloid scarring? Is there a connection? I have also had 2 ablations to my heart for a form of Wolf's Parkinson White Syndrom. Can I get adhesions on my heart from this? I hope I haven't been to wordy, I have never posted anything on the WEB before. I hope you can give me some answers. THANKS

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: