Re: surgery/pain/recovery

Mon Mar 15 08:01:57 2004

When I had the tubal dye study, my doc told me I might be sore from that for a little while, because of the dye. You'll probably be pretty sore from your surgery just due to the nature of the procedure.

Have you been taking pain meds and weaning off of them since your surgery? As you wean off you may notice some tenderness and pain due to the healing process. Also, something I've noticed in me and my current doc has pointed out, is that when you are in pain, your other parts of your body start to overcompensate for the part that is in pain, which can cause more pain in the long run.

He sent me to a physical therapist who deals with scar tissue and she taught me some exercises to strengthen my abdominal wall. They don't hurt. I'm very cautious about doing anything to my abdomen. They are very gentle stretches and also some massage techniques to soften the outer scar/incision to help free it up. Before I started, my incision, which ran from my belly button to my pubic bone, was very hard and stiff. It pinched whenever I moved and was very painful. Now it's soft and rarely pulls when I move around. I do have to keep up on my exercises or I notice it stiffening again. I had an old c-section scar too, from 5 years ago. I started massaging that too and now it's almost completely unnoticable. I remember dealing with all of the pain after surgery from healing and from the endometriosis and everything else.

Unfortunately, I always started feeling the same old familiar pain, often worse than ever within a few months of any surgery that I've had. I would describe the type of pain you are having now and compare it to the pain you felt before, to the doctor. I would think about this long before my appt so that you can really get into words what you are feeling so that the doctor has a better understanding of what you are going through.

Write down anything you don't want to forget to mention or ask. If the doc says it's due to healing, I would also ask how long to expect that this would last, so that you would know what to look out for in case it's more than healing that's causing it.

Sometimes I have a long list with me and it may seem tedious, especially when the doc has a lot of othe patients to see, but I figure that's my time with them and I'm going to find out all I need to know and that I'm just as important as any other patient that they have waiting for them.

I don't like not knowing something, so I ask all the questions I have, even if they seem trivial or stupid. It's better to know than to be left wondering and unsure. So I highly recommend keeping a pad of paper and pen available to you all of the time and anytime anything pops into your head before your appt, write it down. You can always modify your list before your appt, but this way you won't forget.

Hope this helps. Samantha

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: