New here. Need your help

Fri Jul 9 22:34:26 2004

Hi. I've looked through the archives and can't find anyone with a similar situation. I'm hoping you can help.

I started having right-sided pelvic pain in mid-March. Sometimes the pain is sharp and shooting, sometimes it's just a twinge and sometimes it's a constant deep ache. Over time, I've also developed pain near my navel, in both hips and on the left side of my pelvis, however, 90% of the pain is still on the right side. I had a colonoscopy in May and the doctor's report stated "SEVERE pelvic adhesions". My gastro doc said the colon was so stiff she could barely get the scope through it. This was my second colonoscopy. The first one was done 4 years ago by the same doc and there was no mention of stiffness or adhesions. My only previous abdominal surgery was two years ago when a cyst on my right ovary hemorrhaged. I had the ovary and fallopian tube removed via a laparoscopy, but there was a lot of blood that remained in my abdomen.

I saw my OB/GYN last month and since I was already scheduled for a hysteroscopy, he decided to do a lap also to check out the adhesions. (He was very skeptical about the colonoscopy report saying he'd never heard of adhesions being diagnosed that way. He also suspected I had no adhesions since my previous surgery was done through the lap.) He did the lap this past week and found no adhesions. I'm very confused. I went from a diagnosis of severe adhesions to no adhesions at all. I was also given no explanation for my pain. Can any of you tell me if a lap definitively diagnoses adhesions? Does it see all the abdominal organs or is it possible that the OB/GYN could have missed certain areas? Does any of this make sense? I certainly don't want to go through a laparotomy, but I'm wondering if I should request a second opinion. My gastro doc seemed sure of her diagnosis. She didn't use words like "maybe" or "might" - she said I had a lot of adhesions.

I'd appreciate your input. I'm new to this world of adhesions and I always believe you get a straight story from other patients, rather than the docs. I'd be grateful for any insight you can offer. Thanks so much.

--
Teresa

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: