Suggestions for Relief of Adhesion Pain

Mon Aug 2 21:07:16 2004

Hi, I'm new to this site but have read enough where I see the cry for help and relief. I'd like to share some of the things I'm doing or am planning on doing in the hope that it will help someone.

First of all, if you need to take any kind of narcotic pain relief, long term, please do your body (and your mind) a favor and take a stool softener. That was the first thing my doctor recommended after my surgery. I take an OTC product called Colase. This is a very expensive medication but at least Meijer makes a brand comparable for about 1/3 the price of the name brand, and it works JUST AS WELL. I take one of these per day and have not had a bit of a problem.

Secondly, I am experiencing a lot of back pain lately and all I can come up with is the fact that these little buggers attached to everything, so they probably attach to nerves, too, which probably travel outside the abdominal area and into the back, since it's pretty close. I use a heating pad constantly on my back and sometimes a cold gel pack and find great relief with both. If I'm planning on swimming or doing any kind of exercise (which a lot of time exaccerbates my pain, especially vacuuming), I take Motrin first (anti-inflammatory).

Third, my doctor recommended (no more than) 400 mg of Vitamin E. This I take by mouth and the idea is that it softens the adhesions and makes them more pliable and when that happens, hopefully = less pain! Apparently, Vitamin E is not water soluable so you have to be very careful to NOT take more than one per day!

Last, one more thing that I've heard of is a product called Zostrix, I think it's actually peppermint oil, and you apply it to the site(s) of your pain The idea is to rub a very thin coat on your skin, making sure you put it where you will not sweat because that will just make it wipe right off and it won't be effective. Apparently, you can get this at the pharmacy. I'm planning on trying that very soon and I'll do a response to this thread and let you know how it works.

I'm not recommending anyone do any of this stuff without checking with their doctors, especially the medication suggestions but it's sure worth a try! Ok everything with your doc first, though, please!

I'm 38 years old, have a husband and three kids and I'm dealing with the pain of adhesions on an every-day basis but I look forward to reading these postings and picking up new ideas to help cope. Thanks, everyone for sharing a part of yourselves that's pretty personal, and painful as well! Your thoughts and insights are invaluable to the people seeking help! Take Care and God Bless!

--
Cathy in Michigan

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: