adhesion diet

Sun Feb 6 23:05:37 2005

As a fellow ARD sufferer, I notice that my pain is greatly reduced when I eliminate certain foods. There are foods that are safe for me and foods that can promptly send me to the hospital with a bowel obstruction. Perhaps others among you can add to my list.

SAFE FOODS FOR ME:

goat cheese yogurt, yogurt cheese carrots all citrus most meats and fish (see below) blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries nectarines, peaches rice sweet potato spinach swiss chard some squashes nuts eggs green beans

FOODS TO AVOID:

Milk, milk products (except yogurt) apples, pears (unless cooked, Avocado, Melons, boxed cookies/crackers (with dry milk) -- read ingredients! Chocolate candy (much contains dry milk) Many desserts (contain milk) beans, all legumes prunes, bananas soy products (they're beans) broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, raw celery potatoes - sometimes Doughy Breads (heavy and/or not completely baked) Bran Cereals and Bread peas, corn, green peppers, cucumbers, onions , including leeks, scallions, shallots, pimentos, radishes, rutabagas, sauerkraut, turnips

Fried eggs and hardboiled

Meats: Tough, High fat pork products, Soy extended Ground Beef and Patties NOTE: Soy protein has been added to ground beef to reduce the food cost. However, increased flatulence may be associated with soy-extender.

Other Poorly cooked foods, Highly spiced foods or spices in excess, Foods with excessive fat.

--Remember, if you do eat a food on the AVOID LIST, take a vegetable enzyme such as BEAN-O (4 -6 if necessary), or a milk lactose enzyme pill. Also, a med with symethicone such as GAS-X. I now carry packets of nondairy creamer in my purse for when I drink coffee in restaurants.

--Keep your bowels open by taking stool softeners (350 mg. at bedtime works for me then 250mg. in the afternoon). Once in awhile a plain glycerin suppository will be necessary.

Hope that helps! ~ Kathleen

[moderator note: please consult your physician or licensed Nutritionist before trying any new diets or food regimens. The above dietary information may or may not be effective due to your own personal health needs and is not a recognized Adhesions diet.]

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: