Re: Adhesions-A ripping or tearing type of feeling

Mon Aug 29 20:11:56 2005

Hi, I've just found this website. I'm 32 and have a permanent ileostomy for Crohn's; in 1994 I had my large bowel removed and the following year had a proctectomy. About 3 years after that, as I put on weight, I began to get adhesions pain, and at first I didn't know what it was until I asked a doctor. They seemed to get worse as I put on more weight; at most I have weighed 12 stone but am now 10 stone, although I've also had problems with very irregular periods which are apparently due to 1) having a stoma 2) weight fluctuations- and now before and during a period the adhesion pain gets worse. Cold weather makes them worse, as does sitting on anything outdoors on a cold day, or on damp grass, etc. Heat seems to help but I'm not sure which painkillers are the most effective; sometimes mefanamic acid (ponstan) works, or aspirin, although with Crohns you aren't supposed to take too many of those type of drugs-the ones that can cause indigestion and nausea (I think). One doctor said my period pain was due to "pelvic congestion" but didn't explain if that was to do with the surgery or not. I always suffered badly with period pain even before the crohns surgery and several months ago I had the worst period pain I'd ever had. However I wonder if this was due to being on Efexor for 5 years which I have now stopped and am on Cipramil; the efexor also made me put on a load of weight.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: