obstruction of small intestine - can't tolerate fibre

From: International Adhesions Society (tracy.joslin@adhesions.org)
Mon Aug 29 20:14:19 2005

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Eva Thomas Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2005 8:15 PM Subject: Re: obstruction of small intestine - can't tolerate fibre

Nancie What you experienced was more likely a partial small bowel obstruction which had resolved by giving your bowels a rest with the NG-tube.

I've had those for many years due to adhesions and radiation damage. Just had my last surgery 6 weeks ago for a complete blockage.

About the fiber: Concentrate on "soluble fibers" as your main fibers, little "insoluble fibers". You can find info on that on the internet and books. Also look for "low fiber diet" and "low residue diet" and "liquid diet" for the really bad times.

Insoluble fibers can back up above the narrow part of your bowel and cause you symptoms.

Another way is to get daily intake of regular Metamucil/ Phsyllium for mucilage/bulk.

Stay away from "gum fibers" (Benefiber aso). They can actually "gunk" up and block you at the narrow passage.

I think you are doing the right thing by going to the hospital for x-rays and the NG-tube (although it is a horrendus experience - I think). Make a careful decission about having elective surgery (add. adhesions and other dangers). Many people live good lives with partial small bowel obstructions with the right diet. Surgery should be a last resort and pushed back as far as possible. You can also write me personaly at evamst@yahoo.com. Good luck!!!!

Eva

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: