Aprehension over surgery.

Fri Nov 18 01:05:32 2005

I have recently been diagnosed as suffering from abdominal adhesions. I have had a hysterectomy 12 years ago after having one ovary removed the year prior to that. The pain is constant and nothing shows up on the x-rays, ct scans, or any of the tests. I have been advised that I need to go have a laparoscopy (sp) just the peek in and remove the adhesions. My fear is that my mother had the same thing when she was 45 and it took years for the doctors to diagnose this, of course it was back in 1988. Well the doctor that did her surgery (an OB/gyn) actually nicked the small intestine and she died 3 days later. I would much prefer to live with the pain than to have my kids have to go through the loss of their mama. I have one friend that is very insistent about, hey just go to the ER and they will do the surgery. Well, I don't want to just go to the ER. I don't want to have to have the surgery either. I'm scared to death. I don't know if I'll even consent to having the surgery when the time comes. I have been doubled over in pain at work. I'm sure y'all know how that works. I am not sure what type of recovery time I'm looking at after I do have the surgery. I work in retail and don't have a ton of ill time to take. I really can't afford to be off from work any longer than my scheduled days off. I've been having difficulty sleeping. I have taken to heating up a nice rice pillow and placing it on the area where the pain is at night. I am on some type of "tummy relaxer" called bentyl I do believe. Have been on all types of pain meds and I hate using those because I tend to have mood changes. I just want to be well. As I stated I am working in retail and I do this at a home improvement warehouse. I'm very active at work and must drive power equipment (so no pain meds for me while at work) and schlep paint and products down tall ladders. Any advice? How long was your time in the hospital or was it outpatient? How long were you home before being released to go back to work? If anyone can give me any help in answering these questions I would appreciate it greatly.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: