Abdominal Adhessions

Wed Nov 23 18:04:46 2005

I'm new to this site. I have been reading a lot of these messages in the forum. It's been amazing to me still as a medical person how much of problem adhessions can be for people. Especially how much pain and suffering people go through for something that it seems like should be fixable. I've watched and been in on surgeries for adhessions, but until I started having trouble my self?? Over the last 2 years I've had 4 different surgeries. The original surgery was a bowel resection for fistulas that we couldn't get rid of with medicine. I also had some Gyn stuff done at the same time. Two days later I was hemmoraging and ended up back in surgery. A few months later I had to have my gallbladder out. And one year ago a surgery (laproscope) specifically for adhessions. Well now needless to say I am back to the pain. It's progressively gotten worse over the last several months. I'm at the point now where I'm only drinking and that is even painful. The doctors are very reluctant to do surgery again because on paper I still look Ok. I do have a stricture, but even that is not bad enough to warrent surgery, they tell me.

Meanwhile my quality of life has gone down quite dramatically. I've been in the ER 4 or 5 times in the last couple weeks. The only thing that keeps me out now is an increase in pain medicine, and a lot of faith in God. The Doctors are afraid to do anything, because I'm sure they think they'll make me worse. I'm constantly struggling with dehydration and weakness. This all has affected not only me but my entire family and friends.I lost my Job, I'm on disability, and heading toward SS Disability. I have two teenagers that need me and a husband that is fed up with everyone.(including me.)He's sticking in there, but I'm not sure my marriage is going to survive this. I feel so helpless some times.I've always been a active person and have worked as an RN for years and feel like I still have a lot to give if it weren't for this. I feel like it's just a waiting game now.

I'll get bad enough that they won't have a choice. I'm in the process of a second opinion. I'm seeing hololistic drs, a Chiropractor, Councilor,etc. I really feel for all of you out there that have been battling this for years. I do have faith that their will be some relief from all our suffering at some point from the medical community. It's just amazing to me they haven't figured this out yet. Another thing that's amazing is how many drs play down the adhessions as if their not that much of a problem, and that we need to deal with them. While I don't know about you all, but I'm not ready to give up yet. I wake up every day fighting and praying for relief. We've discussed sending me where ever, if my new Drs aren't able to come up with something.

Hang in there all and God Bless..

--
wheelerski@earthlink.net
Moe (nick name)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: