Pain Management and Adhsions

Sun Mar 25 18:50:48 2007

I have had several abdominal surgeries, all related to ulcerative colitis and then an ileostomy over 20 years, and over the last two years have had trouble with adhesions. Finally, my surgeon felt it was time to remove them and in late January, he performed a laparatomy for "extensive intra-abdominal adhesions." I recovered well, but not long after I started developing pain much lower than where the pain had been before the surgery. The doctor believes that while he removed the adhesions that caused the initial pain, he also removed some that did not, but now these have begun to grow as well (around my bladder) with some significant pain as a result. The situation is worse in many ways than before (the pain is certainly more intense than before the surgery) and the surgeon is very reluctant to go in again because the situation could become even worse. So my doctor has set me up with pain management. I really have no idea what to expect, except that for now, my GP has given me Ultram to keep it under control and Lortab (which sometimes give me terrible headaches) for the times when it gets really bad. Those prescriptions will run out soon so that the pain management doctor and figure out how to proceed. Does anyone have any advice on this? I know very little about treatment options, but thought some of you may be in a similar situation and already know what works well. Any advice would really be great!

Thank you very much.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: