Pregnancy with Adhesions?

Wed Nov 7 19:58:16 2007

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of geniebene@comcast.net Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 8:08 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: Pregnancy with Adhesions?

Kayce,   I actually became pregnant and that's how I found out that I had adhesions to begin with.  Apparantly, the adhesions formed from a ruptured appendix back in 1987.  I became pregnant with our first child in 1989...the pregnancy was fine at first, but then I began experiencing what they "thought" was preterm labor contractions.  In fact, they now believe it was the pulling and tearing of the adhesions that was causing me all the pain ,etc.  I delivered my child 6 weeks early...he was great, still is and is getting ready to head off to college to become a doctor...yep, the kid has hopes of curing all of us someday!  God give him the knowledge and strength! The bad part...there was an undetected blockage in my intestines that had become gangrenous, and it ruptured during the delivery because the anesthesiologist had to assist by pushing on my tummy cause the baby couldn't pass cause i was so weak.  Nonetheless, that was the beginning of my life with adhesions.  I did have a second pregnancy in 1991, even though they said they didn't think I'd every get pregnant again.  This pregnancy was uneventful...had the same "preterm labor", but they didn't freak like they did the first time since they knew about the adhesions now.  She was perfectly healthy and so big I could barely pass her...10 lbs!  After her though, I ended up with a hysterectomy as the adhesions pulled my uterus away and I hemorhaged.  I don't think you are crazy for wanting a child at all and you just need to be very aware of your body, symptoms and every twinge in the belly.  With my daughters pregnancy, I took no chances will bowel issues.  I snacked on prunes everyday to make sure everything moved along.  They are both grown and perfect! Best of luck to you.  Just be sure your docs know your situation and are on top of things. God Bless!   Jeanne Surdo  

>-------------- Original message --------------

> Sender: "Kayce"
> Subject: Pregnancy with Adhesions?
>
> I'm 32 years old, newly married, and I've undergone 4 abdominal
> surgeries in the last 4 years. The first was for a volvulus (twisted
> bowel) and a bowel resection was required. Shortly after the first
> surgery, I developed adhesions that caused intestinal obstructions. I
> underwent two lyses of adhesions procedures and the surgeon noted that
> the original surgery site (anastomosis), had poor blood flow and was not
> healing properly. I was then placed on total protein nutrition and
> hospitalized for 3 weeks. The hope was that my bowel would recover now
> that the strangulating adhesions were remo ved. It didn't work and I
> later underwent a 4th surgery to resect the bowel at the original
> surgery site to remove the portion of the bowel that was essential
> dying.
>
> The last surgery was just two years ago, but I have problems with new
> adhesions that have formed. I've been hospitalized once for two days
> just 5 months ago for another bowel obstruction caused by adhesions.
> So...
>
> All of that in mind, would I be absolutely insane to try to have a baby?
> I've worked closely with an oncology nutritionist that monitors my blood
> work and health. All in all, I feel pretty good. But, as one of my
> surgeons mentioned just months ago, I'm a mess inside and my most recent
> x-rays show two sites where small bowel is restricted by adhesions.
>
> I've read cases where pregnancy can actual help a person such as myself
> by stretching out the abdomen and pul ling adhesions apart. But, I've
> also read that adhesions can restrict the uterus' ability stretch and
> the baby can essentially end up trapped in strange positions rather than
> floating freely.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: