From an adhesion buddy in Houston

Thu Jul 3 16:51:44 2008

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of carynlruzich@comcast.net Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:21 AM

Subject: Re: From an adhesion buddy in Houston

Hi Kat,   Don't worry about me, I have pretty thick skin.  I know what I wrote and if they want to interrupt it as discouraging narcotic use, then so be it.  At 47 and being sick since I was a teenager, I know alot about narcotics.  My point was that, if anyone is like me, and has digestive problems, then narcotics are not going to help.  Narcotics work against the digestive systems and slows everything up.    And I don't care what they say about being able to take narcotics long term, I don't know a doctor on the face of the earth that would let a patient be on them for years and years.  At least here in Michigan, doctors are very cautious about prescribing narcotics.  Abuse is so rampant these days and like I said, narcotics have their limitations.  If anyone can find a doctor that will prescribe them narcotics for years and years, well, more power to them.  But that is simply not my experience.   Especially when you consider what you're treating, narcotics are more of a bandaid.  My adhesions strangled my insides and drugs do nothing to stop them from getting worse.  The only real relief from adhesions is to have them removed.  Yes, most times its only temporary relief, but it's relief non the less.    If we're really lucky, one day researchers will start seriously researching effective treatment or better yet, prevention of adhesions.  I read somewhere the exact dollar amount adhesions surgeries and complications cost us in health care dollars each year and it was unbelievable. One would think that would get someone's attention and they would put some real research dollars into finding a way to stop them.  One can only pray.   The best advice I can give anyway suffering from adhesions is to be good to yourself.  If you have to lay around all day, then do it.  If you can't stand wearing anything tight around your stomach, then wear loose clothes or summer dresses.  If you have knots or kinks that hurt, put your fist into your stomach or better yet, have someone else do it and try to manipulate them.  Adhesions can be broken, but it will hurt when you try.  I have alot of problems eating when the adhesions are bad, so if that's a problem you have, go light on food, stay with liquids, drink lots of water, eat soft foods, nothing fibrous or hard to digest.  Drink milk shakes or slimfast.  Baby yourself, if you can.    Yes, there were a lot of years that I couldn't afford to 'baby' myself because I had to work outside the home.  And I suffered alot because of it.  It's also hard when others don't understand your problem, but that's our job to make them understand.  It's okay to not be able to participate in everything when you don't feel well.    Having lived with adhesions for 25 years, I know how hard it is and how discouraged you get trying to get help.  But like I said in an earlier post, NEVER STOP TRYING TO GET HELP.  One day, you will run across someone who will believe you.    I do enjoy this forum and I'm just fine with people who have different opinions.  And like I said, I judge no one.  I know the hell that adhesions can trap you in, so if you find something that helps you, go for it!    Tomorrow I'm going to see a holistic doctor and I will let you know if he has any insight on adhesions and ways to relieve their pain.  I'm looking forward to it.  Like I said, never stop trying.   Caryn  

>-------------- Original message --------------

"WOW" I just read today's posting on the IAS Web Site.   They really ripped your ass over YOUR opinion of pain meds.   I read all your postings and found not one word discouraging med's for pain relief.  What I read was YOUR opinion on how pain meds effect you!   Please don't let a couple of so called "adhesion buddies" discourage you in any way!  It's a shame they talked to you like that.  As if we don't have enough negativity in our lives to deal with!  We have to put up with no one understanding how we have to live in the outside world, we SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH OUR OWN BUDDIES CUTTING US DOWN!   Some times these girls have been posting for a very long time and think only THEIR opinion is right!  

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: