How soon after surgery should I get massage?

Thu Jan 1 09:04:24 2009

Hi All,

I have read a lot of the messages here with great fear of the future. I have had a few abdominal surgeries, 2- laporoscopies, 2- C-Sections and yesterday I went in for what we thought was going to be a hernia repair and ended up the Dr saying he removed "multiple adhesions". They were attached to my colon, uterus and stomach. I don't know yet if he put anything in there to help prevent them in the future but I will be asking tomorrow. I'm in a lot of pain today and the hydrocodone doesn't seem to be doing much except making me feel constipated.

I looked up on the low residue diet and have been following that actually prior to the surgery (except the laxative part). If I didn't take laxatives, and make sure it was diarrhea, I couldn't move it out, it just wouldn't move. They made me endure a colonoscopy with no sedation (at least the sedation they gave me didn't work) and I screamed and moaned through it. That caused me to not be able to poop without laxatives. But the Dr's said I wasn't obstructed b/c I wasn't throwing up, and just gave me meds for nausea.

So now I have had my 5th abdominal surgery and I really don't want more, so I want to be as proactive as possible. I have read that massage will help ease the growth of adhesions, and that they grow soon after surgery, so when can I get started?

I also read about Celebrex after surgery can reduce adhesions? Anyone know about that?

Thanks for the board and I look forward to meeting all of you. Juli Ochs

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: