Re: Surgery--Would you do it again? (POLL)

Fri Feb 6 11:20:06 2009

The only problems I have, currently, are from the one blasted adhesions that attaches my colon to my abdominal wall. All the other adhesions have yet to cause any problems that I can't live with. Sure, my bladder gets pulled out of place and emptying it can take awhile 9I keep books in the bathroom) but there is no pain. Having been through too many surgeries where, during laparotomy, gloved hands were run the length of my intestines for check for problems and laparoscopy masses of adhesions were cut through to get to the colon adhesion, my current surgeon decided to try a different entry point and avoid the quagmire of adhesions that are not causing my pain. He reviewed the video of the previous surgery in order to get his bearings and chose to place the trocars at my waistline and was easily able to maneuver down to the lower right quadrant. I always ask (demand) that the surgery be video-taped and a copy given to me with the surgical notes. I take the video to a place in town that will convert it to a DVD and I keep it in my medical file. We all have our own, unique, map of our abdominal universe and I believe that our surgeons need to review that map so that they can best assess where and how to get in, what to cut and why.

I, unfortunately, had my uterus taken when I was only 34. I am 53 now. It was thought, at that time, that without a uterus that endometriosis would stop cycling. Since then it has been proven that endometriosis has its own hormonal cycle separate and apart from a woman's reproductive cycle and will continue to behave as endometrial cells do (swelling, sloughing off) even if the organ that is supposed to hold all endometrial cells has been removed.

Removing a woman's uterus to reduce endometriosis or adhesions is, in my opinion, like having your leg amputated to "cure" toenail fungus.

No need to cut your nose off to spite your face. Seriously.

It has taken me years of research and experience to feel like I have an understanding of this disease of adhesions. I know what to ask for and can explain why I am asking.

All I know is this, my surgeon and I both believe that doing as little as possible during a lap will help preserve my over-all health and reduce the adhesion response by reducing the amount of trauma inflicted on the peritoneum. He and I are both very careful in making sure that my symptoms are not being caused by any other health problem and I am vigilant about my health. I get regular physicals, comprehensive blood work 2x a year minimum. I always hurt in one spot. When the adhesions are cut in that spot and my bowel is released, the pain stops. I feel better and am in less pain when I wake up from general anesthetic that I do right before they put me under. The "healing pain" is easier to deal with that the pain leading up to me need for surgery. As the adhesions re-grow I have twinges of pain - 3rd day, 3rd week, 3rd month (my own personal waltz) but they pale in comparison to the debilitating pain that I have been in for months at a time prior to any of the surgeries that I have had.

What is the reason you are being given for a hysterectomy?

Donna

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Katie Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 10:56 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: Surgery--Would you do it again? (POLL)

Donna, so does the surgeon just not mess with anything else? What else has he told you that he has seen while in there?

My colon is attached to my abdominal wall and I have thought several times about telling them to just "fix" that and leave everything else alone but they want to take my uterus, too. I'm fighting it tooth and nail!

Katie

http://www.adhesions.org/forums/message.htm

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: