Re: Surgery--Would you do it again? (POLL)

Sat Feb 7 06:53:58 2009

I've questioned myself about this very thing. I had surgery with Dr. Redan last year because I'd been in maternity clothes for 3 months and the distention would not go down despite EVERYTHING we tried. It was evident that surgery was the only way I'd ever get back in my clothes (size 4 but my abdomen swells, my waist goes from 26" to 35"+ My husband swears he could make a million bucks off of my disappearing belly!) Because I have severe spinal stenosis and COPD(I've never smoked and have always exercised, arghhh!!!)the swelling was putting too much stress on my lungs and back.

Seven months later, I went for my gyno check-up and upon his "exam" he said I was full of them again as low as my vaginal and rectal areas. Not what I wanted to hear, but after 35 years of living with them, I'm educated. They do return!

If and WHEN I get to that point, yes, I will have surgery done and yes, I'll go back to Dr. Redan. Unlike a typical general surgeon who says, NO WAY, Redan was willing to spend two hours untangling my intestines and and he did it without a re-section. Did he cure me? No. But he did take care of the immediate problem with the expertise I needed.

BUT, as long as I'm managing like I am now with distention that comes and goes and pain that is always there but that I can manage with exercise and some use of medication, I will hold off. Surgery should always be the last resort, but there are times when it becomes painfully obvious that nothing else will work! I'm sure you'll make the right decision. Lis:-)

I have been on a gluten free diet for nearly 10 years now(Celiac Disease) There is no question that it can help those with adhesions simply because you are not putting as much strain on your intestines and digestive track. I very RARELY ever "cheat" because I KNOW what will follow. Days of fatigue, bouts of severe constipation,back pain, etc. Having said that, unless you are a Celiac, the diet is not ideal for everyone and is hard to follow properly if you eat out a lot or don't read food labels. Have a great New Year everybody! Lis:)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: