DITTO THAT - Doctor advises no more surgery

Wed Feb 18 16:01:38 2009

I think we can all attest that all Docs are not created equal. The plain fact is that there is always a risk to a bowel perf or need for a bowel resection if you choose to do a lysis of adhesions.  Most of us have to make the decision as to whether or not our quality of life is worth that risk.   I have personally taken that risk eight times. I have required a bowel resection during one surgery because of the adhesions on the bowel, I have had a bowel perforation found several days after having a laparoscopic surgery done, and I have had the surgery without either. I am about to have another surgery due to a major hernia problem and continued extreme pain which has multiplied due to the bowel perforation that basically made a bad situation worse and in essence reversed everything that was done in the surgery that caused it. FYI, I went to see a doctor in Atlanta (I am in St. Louis, MO) who is supposed to be an expert in endometriosis and adhesions and with doing all his surgeries laparoscopically.  His name is Dr. Ken Sinervo. I found him on the internet after searching for so-called experts. He is very nice and very thorough and probably a fantastic surgeon. Unfortunately I just happened to be one of those rare cases of a bowel perf after a lysis of adhesions especially on the bowel.    My point is, regardless of it coming back or not...I believe it does and with all of the latest barriers, you have to make the decision on whether or not it's worth it. Unless you just can't stand it any longer and you basically have no life left...do the surgery.  Otherwise, the risk of making thing worse is very great.  I have been there.  Sometimes trying to fix this just makes things worse down the road. One example is that my abdmen wall is now very weak from all of the surgeries. Now I am very prone to hernias. This requires me to have do surgery. And because the intestines are all stuck up under the wall (which we know from a gall bladder surgery in Oct), this is going to be nasty and I am told I could require my THIRD bowel resection. I will require a colostomy if this happens.   I hope what I am saying is helpful to those of you who haven't been down this road yet.  I know you want relief and I pray it comes. But, I have to agree with most doctors...it just gets worse in the long run.   I don't want to depress this bunch and I want to be brutally honest so you can make better decisions.   My best to all,   Kelly

--- On Mon, 2/16/09, Marlene Wheeler <wheelerski@msn.com> wrote:

From: Marlene Wheeler <wheelerski@msn.com> Subject: Re: Doctor advises no more surgery To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.obgyn.net> Date: Monday, February 16, 2009, 8:05 PM

#yiv1932095570 .hmmessage P { margin:0px;padding:0px;} #yiv1932095570 { font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}

If anyone can take care of  your adhesions Dr Gerhart can. From the sounds of it you need to get to him soon. He is my Doctor. He saved my life 2plus years ago. I won't let anyone else touch me. I'm doing so much better. He's also up on the newest adhesions barriers to help keep them from coming back. Your on the right track. A lot of Doctors will say what your doctor says, but going to far with out getting them taken care of can even cause more damage to the bowel. Dr G will take very good care of you.!!!!!!!

> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:20:13 -0600
> From: kkajark@aol.com
> To: adhesions@mail.obgyn.net
> Subject: Doctor advises no more surgery
>
> I have had surgery 9 times. I am in so much pain from adhesions so I
> sent my records to Dr Gerhart. My gyne who recently tried to do surgery
> but could not complete due to density of adhesions says I should not
> have surgery. He does not think there is a doctor that could do it
> without cutting into my bowel. I do not know what to do. I want to
> have surgery to get rid of the pain but do not want to have anything
> happen to the bowel.
>

e.htm

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: