Re: SSI/Disablity

Wed Feb 25 13:51:33 2009

Alta. I have been on disability for over 1 year now. I applied in Aug. 2004, and was denied. It took about 3 months to hear back. I went to see an attorney in Feb 2005. He took my case. Long story short, I finally went to my hearing Dec. 2007. It was a conference hearing, the judge was in Portland, Or. I also deal with : Gastroparesis, IBS, Depression (who doesn't with ARD) Anxiety along with Adhesions. The one thing in my medical records that did help was at one time I had told one of my doctors that I just want to get well and go back to work. I did quit working Aug. 2004. Went back after surgeries in Germany July 2005. Got hurt, had gallbladder removed, and they all returned with pain being more intense. I quit my job again June, 2007. So my Attorney brought up the fact that I did keep trying to work. The adhesions won. After not having money for so long, SSD is a blessing. I will get my Medicare in June of this year. It is really tough not having insurance. Put it this way, what do you have to lose? Adhesions are becoming more and more recognized as a disability, especially dealing with the constant fact that we may end up with bowel blockage. Then of course the other problems that go along with it. So, go to Social Security online, and get busy, if you get denied, then get an attorney. I only had to pay my attorney $300.00. Plus I did all of the leg work myself. I ordered all of my medical records from doctors, hospitals etc. They charge lawyers where they may not charge you. When I collected everything my lawyer needed, then I sent it all to him. The most I got charged privately was about $50.00 from one place. The other fee's were that each doctor had to get paid 150.00 to fill out questionaires. That was my family Dr. and my Gastro. Some people get paid a lot of back money depending on how long you have been off of work. I got about 2,400.00 in back money. Social security pays the attorney right off the top for his share which was about 800.00 ? for that po rtion. A friend got paid 80,000.00 in back money. Lawyer gets paid 5,000.00 or 30%, but it cannot be higher than the 5,000.00. Then the separate amount for medical records and doctor statements. Sooo good luck and file. Take care, and feel better. Cheryl

> ----- Original Message -----
From: Alta Costew<mailto:racostew@sbcglobal.net> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS<mailto:adhesions@mail.obgyn.net> Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:43 AM Subject: SSI/Disablity

Hi,

How many of you are on or applied for disability? My husband thinks I should but I have a feeling I would be turned down. If you have applied, did you do it on your own? Did you have a lawyer help? Just wondering Alta

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: