Re: Having a really tough flare-up

Sun Mar 1 12:14:06 2009

Along the thread of this regarding doctors and esp.. ER doctors and the attitudes towards us. I have had an interesting year with many trips to the ER with 2 admissions resulting in the discovery of pneumonia and after considerable investigation for the surgery report I was reluctantly told I had "massive/dense adhesions"...no name for it, no answer for it, no help from it, just an ill defined reason why I "may" be having the problems I was having. The surgeon refused to do anything about it, told me there was no one who could, and that I should give up. Once I found out about Dr. K in Germany and brought him the info he refused to even look at it, went out of his way to tell all my doctors I was wasting my time and money and that the adhesions would come back within a year. That year is about up and I am still alive, not perfect but not dying in my bed with no one to care. They are all, for the most part, worthless and I know it's hard but try not to even bother with them unless they first tell you they are open to ADR. Otherwise it's an act of self flagellation and one more step to suicide. Can one just wait in the ER until an appropriate doctor is there to serve you? I don't know but it would be worth a try. It wouldn't do to have the cameras show a woman/man dying while all around the staff go on with their work, ignoring you. I think many of the thousands of us who die during a year actually happen that way. "we don't know what is up with him, let's just shuffle him off and get on with the really sick people"... wha??? "he's dead?" Oh well, it must have been from natural causes. Do you think more die from ARD complications than what are recorded? What is the number given now? 1,500 who die of ARD???

BTW, Have any of you joined the Facebook group for ARD? My niece from Norway joined it in respect for me....there is some good stuff happening there and I know this could be a next step to getting Oprah to notice our plight.

Donna J

_____

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Tracy S Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 5:48 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: Having a really tough flare-up

Hey Kris,

How did the date go???? Hope today is a good day for you!!! :)

Tracy

--- On Sat, 2/28/09, Kris <krisl1204@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Kris <krisl1204@yahoo.com> Subject: Re: Having a really tough flare-up To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.obgyn.net> Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 6:24 PM

At Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Tracy S wrote: >
>Hi Kris,
>
>My obstruction were all DX'ed by CAT scan...funny thing is none
of them have showed up on a regular Xray though. Last weekend I had another bout....Throwing up Nausea AWFUL pain....So of course I called my PC who of course said go straight to the ER. >Important piece of info

though...I had just been DX'ed w/ a partial bowel obstruction 10 days before by the SAME ER doctor that saw me last weekend. He order a regular Xray which of course came up with nothing....Came in and told me he was going to send me home with Pain meds and Nausea meds....I question him why he was not doing a CAT scan and he replied that the Xray would show a complete obstruction and I was in no imediate danger. Of course I questioned him and explained none of my other regular Xray's had shown obstructions and they were only visible on the CAT scan., so he explained how having too many CAT Scan's was not good...cancer risks and blah blah blah....so he sent me on my way anyhow. Thinking back I should have insited that keep me but after being there just 10 days before and two weeks before that (which showed nothing that time) and a month before with a colon infection....you begin to think maybe they think your just

looking for > drugs or something! He offered me pain med which I turned down
explaining I still had pain med from my discharge 10 days before....Figured that would cue him in I was not there just looking for pain meds....I did feel better a few days later but I guess it's just the principle of feeling like you're be pushed away when you know your pain is real....Ok sorry to be so long winded....It's just so nice to have someone to talk to who knows it's not all just in my head!!! >
>Tracy
>Hi Tracy! I just can't believe they wouldn't do surgery after
definitively diagnosing obstructions! Don't you just hate the ER visits?? The last time i went the first question the nurse asked me when I got there was if I was out of my pain meds. I whipped the bottle out of my purse and showed her that it had just been filled, but that it was like taking an aspirin for a C-Section. She mellowed out a little

after that! I wish you could find a surgeon that would help you. It's so hard to keep trying to talk to doctors and explain your story over and over again.I wish tht none of us had a reason to have to explain the story! Believe me, I know it's not in your head! I feel the same way. I work so hard to keep a normal life. Today is another tough one. Believe it or not, I have a 2nd date with a guy I met through a girlfriend tonight. I'm 53. It seems weird to say date at this age! He knows all about my issues and appears to be understanding. He's been having abdominal pain and! had to go to the ER after we had our first date a few weeks ago! Maybe this is contagious!:) I guess his may be gall bladder. I really don't want to go, but it's all part of the working to be normal as best that I can.We're going out for dinner. oh joy. Eating! I'll just have him take me home early if I can't stand it any more. I'm just hanging

in here until surgery on Tuesday. If this doesn't work, I don't know what I'm going to do.Find a way to cope, I guess. Thanks for your communication and support! I hope your day is going well! Kris

>--- On Sat, 2/28/09, Kris <krisl1204@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>From: Kris <krisl1204@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Having a really tough flare-up
>To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS"
<adhesions@mail.obgyn.net> >Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 8:34 AM
>
>At Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Tracy S wrote:
>>
>>Kris,
>>
>>I just wanted to let you know that I sooooo understand how

you're >feeling!!!! I hope today is a better day for you!!!! Also I just
had to tell you >how jealous I am that your having surgery!!!!
>>Sure does sound like a crazy thing to say, but even after 4
partial bowel >obstructions and a zillion dr

appts my Dr still says ...NO SURGERY!!! >>
>>But Tuesday is going to be a good day for both of us....Your
hopefully >going to get the relief you so deserve and I'm having my first
appt with a >NEW primary care DR!!!!! After 10 years of hearing NO....I'll
keep switching >if I have to until one of these DR's HELPS ME!!!
>>
>>Your in my thoughts and prayers!!! Be sure to keep us updated!
>>
>>Hugs!
>>Tracy
>>
>>--- On Fri, 2/27/09, Kris <krisl1204@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Hi tracy! Thanks so much for your kind words and your support.
It's not >crazy at all to feel jealous about the surgery. It's the hope
we've all >been asking for!When i posted about it, my thoughts were that I
wish i could >take everyone with me on this site to this surgeon that I

happened to be so >lucky to find. I can't

believe they won't do anything after your 4 >partial bowel obstructions! Did they diagnose through some type
of test? I know >that I've been through at least 3 of them the last year, but most
of my >tests have come back normal, except for one CT scan that showed
inflammation in >the intestinal wall by my gall blader. That showed up on a

Friday, but since it >was so close to the weekend, they at least left me in the

hospital on IV pain >meds until Monday, when they did a barium enema, but showed no
obstruction. So, >off they sent me home again with no answers. I know I had another
bad one in >Dec. The runs for about 12 days, with stools finally forming into
pencil thin! > ones for another week. After that I felt pretty good for about 3
weeks in Jan. >and actually thought about cancelling my surgery. The misery
kicked in again and >I'm glad I didn't cancel it.

Please keep looking for a new doctor who >will help you. I just thought of something...Maybe it would help
if you brought >a couple of the articles along that Mark has shared, the one
about adhesions >barriers becoming big business and the other about the Cine MRI.
I think I'd >do that if I was still on the doctor hunt. After reading all
ihave on here, >I've really realized how fortunate that I am to have found this
surgeon >after only one year. If I didn't have the PCP physician that I
have, I >wouldn't have ended up here. I hope you're having a pain tolerant
day. >Thank you again so much for responding to me. Your kind thoughts
and words mean >alot! It really helps to have the understanding of others who
know what I'm >going through. On the other hand, I really wish none of us had to
deal with th! >is! I'll be in touch soon! Kris
>>From: Kris

<krisl1204@yahoo.com> >>Subject: Having a really tough flare-up
>>To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS"
><adhesions@mail.obgyn.net>
>>Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 6:42 PM
>>
>>Hi! I just need to vent as I'm going through a really tough
flare-up. >As
>>I posted before, I'm having surgery on Tuesday and I cannot
wait. The >>nausea has been so bad for the past few days. On Wednesday, I
even >>puked all over in my car as I was driving home. Yesterday was a
little >>better, but today is really rough again. At least I haven't
gotten >sick
>>again. I've got the same pain that all of you go through in
that >it's
>>like a vice grip is wrapped around my rib cage on my right side.
I can >>feel these damn things pulling all the way down to my navel. It
always >>scares me when these flare ups

get so bad. I don't know about you >guys,
>>but I always worry that it's cancer or something! I have to
remind >>myself of all the tests that don't show that and remember the
other bad >>flare-ups. I have to say I've never actually thrown up before.
I just >>need to get through until Tuesday. I'm so hopeful for good
results. >>It's so hard for family members and friends to understand. I
even just >>got crabby on the phone with my poor 83 year old mother. I
never do >>that! Sometimes it's hard to remain cheerful and positive when
you feel >>so bad in spite of trying hard to. Thanks for listening. I
know you >>all understand! Take care! Kris
>>
>>htm
>
>htm

http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm

Enter keywords: