Re: Colonoscopy on Friday!!!

Tue Mar 3 09:35:23 2009

Tracy, I had my first one last September. It found a severe stricture in the "hepatic flexure" of my colon ... right where I had been complaining of pain for over 2 years. The GI could not get past the twist and that is how I finally came to be diagnosed with adhesions. It will have to be fixed via surgery.

He gave me Demerol and Verced. Normally I do fine with those (have had 2 endoscopies with the same drugs) but for some reason, this time they made me throw up alot.

The procedure itself is not a big deal. The prep part was the worst. I had to drink 2 bottles of calcium citrate but most doctors now just have a pill they give you instead. (But I live in a small town in the middle of Hicksville so they have probably never even heard of it!) lol!

Ask for the pill and stay near a bathroom. Move a small TV in there if you can. Take a book. Rest between "episodes" so that you don't get a backache.

Good luck!

--
Katie

At Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Tracy S wrote: > >I will be having my very first colonoscopy this Friday...

I'm scared to death about this procedure!! >Can anyone who has gone through it share their experience?

I know that they use something to make it so your kind of out of it ....but I'm not sure if it's a sedative or a pain med...Do they use both??? I'm curious about the pain med since I tend to get very low blood pressure when they put me on IV pain meds....just wondering if I should expect a delay in getting discharged if pain meds are used!!! > >Tracy

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: