Re: please help!

Tue Mar 10 18:18:50 2009

Linda, I have Gastroparesis a digestion problem. I really have to watch fiber intake. A few months ago I thought I would try a bowl of new Mini Wheats Blueberry squares. Oh WRONG! 1/2 hour after eating them, I swelled up and looked about 6 months pregnant, extremely nauseous, in pain and so uncomfortable. I called my Gastro's office and spoke with the nurse. Told what I had eaten for the day, and she said it was the Fiber in the cereal that caused it. I have had it happen before, but never to that extent of discomfort, and swelling. I have to take Metroclopramide ( reglan) 1/2 hour before meals, and when the nausea is really bad, I take Phenergren usually 1/2 a tab. any more than that, I am knocked out for a day! The Gastroparesis is basically slow digestion. I don't eat a lot of red meat, and if I do, I just take 4-5 pieces of steak from my husband since I have to wear a mouthpiece and it is so hard to chew. I am such a mess!! Before my Gastro found out what was wrong, I went on the BRAT diet a few times. I am careful with breads, usually a good white bread. Wheat binds me up and swells me too. I think it is probably trial and error for all of us of what can be eaten. Good luck to all, and feel better. Cheryl D.

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:57:22 -0500 From: lindahalford@comcast.net To: adhesions@mail.obgyn.net Subject: Re: please help!

Sometimes I think it would be less painful if I juiced everything instead of chewing and trying to digest. I've never tried standing up to eat but it would probably be less painful. I'm going to try to avoid high fiber to see if it makes a difference in my pain level. You're right about red meat...it's very hard to digest and it tends to stay in the digestive system forever. I only eat it a few times a month. Broiled fish is the best for the digestive system.

>----- Original Message -----
From: Katie To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:48 AM Subject: Re: please help!

Linda, yes, I have been told by 2 doctors and now several nurses that low fiber is the best thing for you when you have adhesions. My local GI told me to eat oatmeal (this was almaost 2 years ago) and so I ate oatmeal 4 mornings in a row and of course, didn't have any bowel movements that week. I ended up with an obstruction that luckily only required fluids and no food for a couple of days.

I will never do that again.

Also, I only eat red meat once in awhile and it has to be cut very small and chewed very thoroughly, as we all know that meat takes a long time to digest.

I would definitely recommend a low fiber/low residue diet to anyone with adhesion issues that involve the bowels.

Also, (and this is wierd but it works for me), I eat all of my meals standing up. I can no longer eat in restaurants because of this obviously but I don't care, I'm a really good cook. lol! Standing up is MUCH less painful for me both during and after I eat. Things don't feel "pinched off".

htm

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.9/1988 - Release Date: 03/06/09 19:17:00

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: