Systemic Enzymes

Sat Mar 14 23:00:22 2009

At Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Linda wrote: >
>Carmela, I've tried serripeptase but I didn't get any relief. Perhaps it was the wrong brand. Where did you buy your serripeptase, what brand was it and how much did it cost? Thanks. Linda, JAX, FL
>

Enzymes are rumored to help digest or “eat” adhesion material. This is only a rumor, but considering how much we’re all in the dark about this stealthy condition, it may have some truth to it. You decide. There's more evidence to suggest that enzymes can prevent adhesions from forming during the 10 days after surgery. (see citation below) There's very little to no evidence that they can “eat” an established adhesion.

Citation: A. Yagmurlu, M. Barlas, I. Gursel, I.H. Gokcora (2003). "Reduction of Surgery-Induced Peritoneal Adhesions by Continuous Release of Streptokinase from a Drug Delivery System". Eur Surg Res 35 (1): 46-49. PMID 12566787

Enzymes occur naturally in the foods we eat, and provide a necessary catalyst for the body to break down or digest proteins. Enzymes do not, by themselves, cause a chemical reaction, so they are considered very safe. (Don’t take my word for this. Talk to a naturopath and tell them if you are allergic to pork, pineapple, or papaya.) Treating certain diseases with enzymes is accepted practice both in hospitals and in naturopathic clinics, so this is not too far fetched.

Certain enzymes, called fibrinolytic enzymes, are well suited to help break down fibrin, the substance of an adhesion. Two fibrinolytic enzymes, nattokinase and serrapeptase (serratia peptidase) are often discussed with respect to adhesions and other fibrin-induced diseases, like arteriosclerosis. Brands that contain these enzymes include Enerex, Fibrozym, Neprinol, Vitalzym, and Zymactive. Cost is about $70 a month or $2500 for 3 years.

Unlike most medicine which usually elicits a quick response, systemic enzyme therapy works very slowly, if at all. And while that makes sense considering the way it uses the body’s own metabolism, it requires a lot of patience. I noticed some improvement after only 11 months, (still waiting for more) but another woman told me that it took her 2 ½ years. When an adhesion has sufficiently melted away, it will suddenly let go, like an old rubber band. When this happens, the pressure will be relieved and you will feel better.

There are two types of enzyme therapies commonly available in a natural health store: digestive enzymes and systemic enzymes. Labels can be confusing and some people have walked out of the store carrying the wrong product. Here’s a tip: Systemic enzymes almost always include the ingredient serrapeptase. Systemic enzyme pills are also labeled as “enteric coated.”

Pills should be taken 15 to 45 minutes away from food. This allows a greater fraction of the pills to be absorbed into the “system” and not used up in the digestive tract.

Like all adhesion research, research on fibrinolytic agents are not as complete as we would like. Studies show that fibrinolytic agents – among them, enzymes – can “significantly decrease adhesion formation” in the days following surgery and one study recommended that “given the large number of experimental studies in animals, future studies should focus on clinical use [in humans].” (Hellebrekers et al, Fertility and Sterility, August 2000) This endorsement has led to whispers (no written professional claims that I could find) that fibrinolytic agents might also be able to help break down established adhesions, as well. Of course, I'd like to see more complete research on this, and yet, I know that’s not likely to occur soon because enzymes are not patentable. However, since enzymes are believed to be very safe, I think the best thing is for people with adhesions to simply try it. Some are doing so, and there are one or two reports of success on Internet patient forums – very isolated reports. Maybe someone will volunteer to host an “adhesion enzyme survey” web-page for us to report our 12, 24, and 36 month results, much like the ARD quilt site, so we can see for ourselves how well this works. Because, let me tell you, somehow we, as a society, have constructed an economic system such that doctors – the people we rely on for health concerns – are not willing to perform this function. It seems that the incentives to do basic research are just not there, especially for

a)a disease that until recently, had no test, b)a treatment that takes years to show results, and c)a drug (natural supplement) that can’t be patented.

If you have the patience (and the money), I recommend taking systemic enzymes for a minimum of 3 years. But keep in mind that this must be considered an experimental treatment for which there is little evidence, anecdotal or otherwise.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: