Re: A familiar sounding story

Tue Mar 24 19:03:12 2009

We are military (Navy) and I can tell you that military doctors can be sued ONLY if they harm a dependant, not if they do harm to the active-duty person themselves.

It's an outrage!

--
Katie

At Tue, 24 Mar 2009, jetstamp wrote: > >I have seen a few stories like this one in the past. I believe one of >them was about a soldier in Iraq who had been told he had IBS but it >obviously was not and as a result he died. I can'y remember what it >turned out to be. > >There was also a follow-up on the network news tonight about a 29-year >old soldier who died from melanoma- and it had been recorded as having >been seen on one of his buttocks by a military doctor a year or more >earlier but the soldier was never told nor was treatment given. On the >news, they showed him when he was going to be interviewed but he died >right before while the reporter was there waiting. The gist of the >story (it was on the CBS evening news) was about a bill that would allow >families such as this one to file a complaint or maybe sue doctors like >this-currently there is a rule that families have no recourse regarding >military doctors such as the one who failed to tell the patient about >the melanoma or treat it. A fine way to treat our troups! > >This is not specifically about adhesions, obviously. It is just another >sad example of the lousy state of our current medical system- which too >many of us are all too familiar with. Where is the accountability? >Where is the 'care' in healthcare? I know some doctors claim to be >afraid for doing things that may cause harm due to malpractice, but by >the same token, isn't 'lack' of appropriate treatment just as bad? > >http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/03/24/doctor-failed-to-diagnose-cancer-that-killed-patient/

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: