Adhesions or what? I need some support and guidance

Sat Dec 5 18:59:23 2009

Hi everybody, my name is Alex, I'm a 31yo male in excellent health and shape, living in Florida.

I had an inguinal hernia repair the "old fashioned" incision method at age 14, then a double repair of an umbilical and a left-side inguinal together, at age 26, done laparoscopically. I did not have any complications from anything (other than losing control of my right testicle from the first one...but I was too embarrassed to tell anyone at the time).

In any case, about 2 years ago I got a feeling in the lapascopically repaired side that felt for all the world as if then hernia had returned. I went to my GP in alarm and he prodded for a minute or two, then said it was "just adhesions" and not to worry. Well, I took his advice, and the pain went away in about 3 weeks.

Fast forward to this past September, when I was undergoing extremely strenuous situps for a couple of weeks, in preparation for a physical fitness test for a job (I didn't get it). About a week after the test, the "adhesion" pain came back in my left groin, and has now been plaguing me for about 5 weeks. I went to my new GP and she said the same thing: no hernia recurrence, just adhesions. (No one, incidentally, has felt around my actual lower abs, where the pain is, they just keep doing the finger-in-the-inguinal-canal tests.) It is usually worse in the evening, and ranges from a bubbling feeling to almost a groin strain type of pain. I poke and prod it a lot, coughing and looking for hernias everywhere. Does anyone know if the small lumpy feeling I can detect in my groin is probably just the scar tissue from the hernia surgery??? Can you physically feel adhesions with your finger, or are they always under the muscle layer?

So, I have no idea if that's what this is. I tend toward hypochondria (runs in the family) and I am frightened that it's actually a recurrent hernia that no one but me is acknowledging. But if it is indeed adhesions, I can't find much on what to do. A google search says it's usually a terrible complication, and there is one site in Norway claiming its pill series can help cure adhesions.

I guess I just need some guidance, reassurance and advice. Thanks in advance. Alex

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: