FW: ADHESIONS digest 1331

Fri Feb 11 18:28:04 2011

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of jeanne aughenbaugh Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2011 11:57 PM To: adhesions-request@adhesions.org Subject: Re: ADHESIONS digest 1331

Hi To All

It has been a long time since I have written but I do read the post almost everyday. It is late I am hurting so this is going to be quick.

I have been dealing with abdominal adhesions for 12 years now. It took 4 years to get a medical support group that has helped me to deal with this. I have recently moved from Pennsylvania to Georgia and am starting my search for #1 A good medical doctor who will listen to me, believe in me, understand that when I say I am in pain or do not feel well this is to be taken seriously and most likely something is wrong. #2 A massage therapist who is capable of doing myofacial release and understands what he/she is dealing with, will stay in contact with my doctor. This person is very important, my previous therapist has been very instrumental in keeping me out of the hospital and away from surgery for a long time. #4 I will have to get info. on surgeons in the area just in case.

Now in the past I have had surgery with Dr Clark Gearhart in Pa, my first 2 laps with him he had filled me with ringer lactate, and of coarse two weeks later I was in pain. I had surgery with Dr Harry Reich at the Lilly Tomlinson Memorial Center, Cayman Islands. This surgery was out of pocket. Spray Gel was not FDA approved. I was a mess. 12 hour surgery. Within two weeks I was having pain (it was better), I was good for almost two years. With pain meds and massage, but the obstructions were fewer. I have had 2 laps since then with Dr. Gearhart (the first one Dr. Reich assisted at no cost and they used a new product with the lactate ringer I did not know they were going to do this but evidently Dr. Reich was prepared with it and it was FDA approved hours before my surgery. I do not remember what it was, I do remember the recovery feeling different. My last lap with Dr. Gearhart was last year and he did use spray gel now FDA approved, was it the same spray gel? I believe they "tweeked" it. My recovery took 12 weeks of crazy unbelievable pain and swelling from the cavity of my abdominal wall (thats the only way I can describe it) high fevers migraine headaches. Some of that was probably because I was alone the entire time. To wrap up my thoughts on the spray gel, it works, the reason I continue to have problems is because going back to before the Cayman Islands my insides were a mess. The adhesions were massive and some were very hard (Dr. Reich even broke a large instrument a peice about 2-3 inches long inside and could not find it for about an hour just as they were going to do and x-ray he located it.) So there are areas that are just unmanageable, cannot untangle it and cannot get the gel in between. However, the surgeons technique is most important. Do your research, ask questions,keep a notebook a diary and write down everything,, talk to the doctor and make sure you understand everything he is telling you, ask for references (if they are good they will not mind) If you have a bad feeling about the doctor, go with it and move on. There are doctors out there who care.

Goodnight and good luck to all,

Jeanne Aughenbaugh

> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:22:17 -0600
> From: adhesions@adhesions.org
> To: adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com
> Subject: ADHESIONS digest 1331
>
> ADHESIONS Digest 1331
>
> Topics covered in this issue include:
>
> 1) Pain Management
> by "IAS Admin" <tracy.joslin@adhesions.org>
> 2) FW: no subject received Sun, 30 Jan 2011 20:53:26 -0600
> 3) Any news on the Fibrin Glues/Products, or any success stories?
> 4) FW: PLEASE HELP - request for doctor
> 5) Australia
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: