Re: my adhesion story-Laura

Thu Apr 15 14:27:41 1999

At Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Christine M. Smith wrote: >
>At Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Laura Newman wrote:
>>
>>Christine, reading your story almost mirrored mine. I feel like I DO have an obstruction BUT, I hate going to my gastro guy because he lately has just been coaching me from the phone with statements like, take 3 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia; take some other stuff he said I had to mix with water (which I never did buy); and drink Citrate (very nasty stuff) which I also did not do. The reason I did not drink the Citrate is because that stuff reacts to me very violently. I sweat, get sick to my stomach (and sometimes throw up) and have extremely bad cramping with little response from the Citrate itself. The last time I had a bowel obstruction, they gave me all but that stuff I needed to mix before surgery including 3 enemas and I STILL had to have surgery even though they throughly cleaned me out. I am TERRIFIED of the thought that I may now be in the hands of people that are burned out with me through this ordeal. I am in the process of seeing someone else that may be able to
>h
>>elp me and if it is successful, I will let all of you know. In the meantime, pray for me - that I do not have an obstruction and I get to this new guy before I HAVE to have obstruction surgery! Keep me posted Christine, I had the "scope" procedure done and my gastro too, said he didn't see anything (yet, my old surgeon said my insides were so sticky he thought he would have to put me on the bag AND I was a very high risk for more surgery). Be careful with your choice in doctors - ask a lot of questions and don't be talked into anything you don't want done!!! I should have taken my own advice - live and learn.
>
>Hi Laura:
>Where are your adhesions problems? I couldn't tell from your post. You
>have had surgery for an obstruction? Where was it? What did it feel like
>before you had the surgery?
>The initial attack I had in June 1997 and the one I had about 6 weeks
>ago both felt the same. They started with mid abdominal, bilateral pain
>that feels exactly like what I remember as menstrual pain. Enough to
>make me want to walk kind of hunched over. Eventually my entire gut
>gets sore and I try not to jar it as I go through my daily activities.
>There is never any nausea at this point (which differentiates it from
>menstrual pain because that would usually cause nausea when it was this
>bad) After about 12 hours of this, both times I developed a fever around
>100-101, which lasted both times about 12 hours. The first time this
>was the end and the acute pain went away and the soreness remained
>indefinitely.The last time (6 weeks ago) 2 days after the start, I had a
>severe gas attack,including periumbilical pain and tenderness, along
>with intermittent right sided abdominal pain. I could actually hear
>explosions in my abdomen, along with a lot of creaking and groaning.
>(very loud bowel sounds) With each crescendo of gas pain, there were
>waves of nausea. I was not totally obstructed because I was eventually
>able to pass most of this gas. After this, I recovered and the soreness
>gradually went away after a few days. Does this sound like anything you
>had? I'm also not sure that obstruction of the sigmoid colon (which is
>what I worry about) would cause these type of symptoms, but then I
>wonder if possibly a loop of small bowel could be involved. I feel like
>my life is on hold while I'm waiting for "It" to happen.
>It has been my experience if there is any convincing to be done, it is
>always on my part! The gyn took 9 months to do the first lap, the
>general surgeon wasn't too eager either.
> Have you had any contrast xrays done, such as barium or ct scans?
>
>Chris S.

Hi girls,

Hey chris, I am like chris, I feel like an obstruction waitng to happen, and they rell me that the worse place to have adhesions is wihtin the small bowel, and I had extensive adhesion there, the gyn said my pelvis looked like someone had poured a gallon of crazy glue in there!

I also have a concern about ovarian rememnant syndrome, b/c the had pain is always right where the right ovary should be, and I take to lowest dose of premarin, and never really had any hot flashes or night sweats sine i was in the hospital a year ago before he put me on HRT, I have stopped the premarin to see, and it has been 4 days and no hot flashes, the gyn said that he would have seen it during the last surgery, but I still feel if he would do an ultrasound it may be possible, the pain is awfully bad on the whole right side and still down my leg. Does anyone know how long this would take to happen, the sec. opinion said it due to adhesive disease and how the last ovary was so stuck, it is hard to sometimes get all the tisse and some may have been left behind. My gyn said he knows I have no masses, so I do not know, all drs have brushed my to the side for now, so it is good to have you girls to talk to!

Toni

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: