Another Adhesion Sufferer

Fri Apr 30 14:40:42 1999

I just wanted to add this message to let you know I am also an adhesion sufferer, and have been for 35 years. Mine were the result of a ruptured dermoid cyst, followed by peritonitis and an abdominal abscess the following year. This all happened when I was 21. I have tried multiple laparsocopies and a hysterectomy to rid myself of this problem. And like most of you, have only succeeded in compounding the problem. The pulling is unbearable without medication. My colon and bladder are firmly adhered to the pelvic wall and the incisions also have large bands of scar tissue attached to the organs underneath. The bladder pull seems to be the most onerous to me, and the extreme pulling under the leg.

I am taking ultram(tramadol)50 mg and a bowel anstispasmodic to take the ativan 2x a day to take the edge off the pain. I have also used phenopyridine to anesthetize the bladder when I get too uncomfortable

I am now trying to switch to neurontin, 1800 mg a day, since tramadol(Ultram) may have some addictive properties. At this point I have not been able to work up to this high dosage to achieve the level of relief needed without the ultram, but it does give added relief.(Neurontin can make you very sleepy and a bit dizzy until you accomodate.)

I am also going to a myofascial clinic where they are trying deep cross fiber massage to break up some of the adhesions. It is often very painful because the pelvic tissue is tethered down and does not give easily. I often feel a strong burning sensation and am sore where the work has been done. The question is, is it beneficial? I have been doing this for about two months, and have not at this point been able to discern a big difference. The therapist can feel some of the deep adhesions, but is having difficulty getting them to give, especially along the incisional lines.

I write all this because we are all looking for effective medications and therapies to gain relief from this debilitating, crippling and for the most part unrecognized problem. Thanks Dr. Weiss for your continuing work. Thanks to all of you for writing, I hope together, we can find ways to bring new focus and understanding to the seriousness of this problem, and find ways to alleviate the suffering until a cure can be found.

--
Anne Hayashi

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: