Re: Adhesions and Pain

Fri May 14 07:15:45 1999

At Fri, 14 May 1999, Lynette wrote: >
>Why do we have to put up with the pain every day and night? Why isn't
>there a multitude of compainies trying to find a solution to our
>problem? Could it be that they are all making too much money out of us
>because we need so many drugs and doctors visits. They have a win / win
>situation and we have a lose / lose situation.
>
>When will the research into adhesion growth and corresponding pain
>caused by these growths be a priority to the medical world.
>
>Curing cancer is great, but the pain that we suffer is similar in
>intensity to cancer. Drugs, often, do not alleviate the problem past a
>dull ache in our afflicted area.
>
>I am coming up for my 15th operation in less than 4 1/2 years.
>
>Life is great, isn't it?

Hi!

As bad as this problem is (and I agree it IS bad) life could be a lot worse. Believe me, I work in a hospital and I've already shared some of my gory stories with Toni. There are a LOT of unfair situations out there-peoples lives who are drastically changed for the worse many times through no fault of their own. (sometimes it was their fault but how many of us have never done something stupid) Like the woman, a quadriplegic, who has to ring her call bell to have someone come and scratch her nose, or the young man who can only have a bowel movement by a suppository and then having someone come in and "disempact" him. Or the cystic fibrosis patients who are now living into young adult years, knowing they will probably have to have a double lung transplant to continue and in some cases a liver transplant because the meds they've been taking all their lives to stay alive have killed their livers. Also dealing with the diabetes they now have because of long term steroid use. I'm not trying to minimize the adhesion problem, it is bad, just there are lots of other lousy situations to be in. In some cases there are no operations that can be done to even attempt to help the problem, or in the case of cystic fibrosis patients they can't have the lung transplant until they clear up the lung infection they have which is difficult because their immune system is impaired and the bacteria are drug resistant. I try not to think about drug companies and wonder what their priorities are. (I think we know what they are)It only makes you angry. Hang in there.

Chris

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: