MRI next step

Mon Jun 7 12:53:58 1999

Hi Everyone: I'm going nuts. My pcp has suggested an MRI as the next step to search for the cause of the pain I continue to have. He finally did call me, was very caring, (so I guess I won't fire him yet :<) but admits he is stumped. My complaints do not correlate with my physical exam. When a doctor has said that to me in the past, it has always led to a dead end. At first he suggested CT Scan of the abdomen and pelvis and then decided on the MRI of the lumbar sacral spine instead. The everyday lower right side abdominal pain that I had two laparoscopies for continues. This is pain #1. Pain #2 is the symptoms of bowel obstruction which have subsided since I cut out all the extra fiber I had been eating. I read that some people never adjust to increase fiber (I did it for 6 months) and although the symptoms were suggestive of a partial bowel obstruction, there might not be any reason for such an obstruction other than the increase in fiber. (then there could be the adhesions causing it) This is the pain that occurs on both sides, and feels just like menstrual pain. (my gyn told me most menstrual pain is bowel pain). It is now pain #3 that is getting to me, combined with pain #1. I sometimes wake up early morning with severe (as in don't want to move an inch) lower right sided pain that is dramatically alleviated by a change in position. (although the area remains sore the acute pain is gone) This severe pain never happens in the daytime, nor does it ever happen on the left side of my abdomen. It happened a few times during the period I was having the laps (1 year) but has increased since March which just happens to be when I started a course in step aerobics. When I get out of bed I expect to have to hobble to the bathroom hunched over in pain but am surprised to find that I feel almost normal. a full bladder seems to make it worse, in fact a full bladder during the day is the closest I can come to duplicating the pain. My pcp says this relief by getting up and walking around is consistent with certain kinds of back problem. Am I getting muscle spasms? What does that feel like? Add to pain #1 and #3, pain #4-this is the pain I now feel on the lower right side of my back and into the buttock area. Of course my question is, is this connected to pain #1, the lower right side everyday pain? Or just a coincidence? Kind of odd that's everything is on the right side. It is possible that adhesions are involved in this, or it might be something entirely different. (and may have been all along) If the MRI gives no explanation I guess the next step will be drugs that affect perception of pain such as antidepressants. Does anyone have adhesion pain with strange patterns of occurence such as I have described above? It sounds as if everyone's pain from adhesions is more or less of a consistent nature. I'm afraid I'm barking up the wrong tree! I'm trying to post on the neurology MD forum but they are really backed up. Finally, has anyone had an MRI? What can I expect? They just called with my appt-next Monday at 9 PM!!! Weird? The daughter of a friend had one and she normally has no problems with things like this, found the MRI very, very difficult to tolerate. She said it took intense mental imagery to keep from panicking in the enclosed area. She advised pre-medication. Help!

Chris S.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: