Re: complications from adhesions?-Ginny

Wed Jun 16 11:21:45 1999

Ginny,

I thought you might be interested in how Dr. C. (my general surgeon) explained the "explosive diarrhea" He said that it had something to do with peristalasis being much stronger and more forceful than is "normal" thus resulting in the explosive diarrhea. If this was caused by the gut trying to overcome the resistance of adhesions or the nerve firing hyperactively due to damage from surgery - he did not know. I hope you have a painfree day!

--
Tina Shelby

At 05:35 PM 6/15/99 -0500, you wrote: >At Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Tina Shelby wrote: >>> >>Ginny >> >>The GI Doc didn't even acknowledge that the adhesions were a possible source >>of the pain. GI docs are good for problems actually within the small >>intestine/colon but not on anything on the outside - like adhesions. I was >>sent home with no real answers for these episodes of suicidal levels of >>pain, fever, elevated WBC, vomiting and explosive diarrhea. Being in the >>medical profession - I did a little research on my own and decided that I >>was having some partial, intermittant bowel obstruction that they just >>didn't pick up on with the x-rays. About 6 months later I ended up having an >>open lap with lysis of adhesions and removal of my rt tube and ovary. This >>gave me about 9 months of being pain free. Then the pain returned and >>gradually got worse again. It's just a viscious cycle - pain - major surgery >>- pain - more surgery - . I've decided to not have any more surgery unless I >>have no choice such as a complete bowel obstruction. >> >>I have worked with GI docs and most put the patient under heavy sedation to >>perform sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy. If I were you - esp if the next test >>they want to do is a colonoscopy - refuse to have it done without sedation. >>You can call other GIs in your area and ask if they use sedation for their >>colon tests. I feel confident you will find one who does. It is cruel and >>inhumane to put someone through a test like that wide awake - esp if you are >>already dealing with a great deal of pain. >> >>Tina > >Tina, >Boy do your symtoms sound so similar to mine. They told me the >"explosive" diahrrea was a viral infection. They could not explain why >I have it for 6-8 weeks at a time or why it occurs two to three times a >year, every year. >Thanks for your advice. I'm going to keep trying. Hang in there. Ginny > >-- >Ginny King >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: