Our bodies are not like cars............

Thu Jun 24 11:27:35 1999

What a strange title I have used for the subject - but when I had surgery (a laparotomy) in 1970, I went into it "blind" - expecting the surgeon to help me become pain-free.

My doctor and my surgeon never mentioned the word, adhesions, to me!!! I thought that surgery was just a simple procedure. I thought that my surgeon, with his vast knowledge about the human body and surgical experience, would be able to "fix it" for me. WRONG!!!!!

I knew next to nothing about the human anatomy. I was illiterate about it - and there weren't any stores such as B.Dalton or Barnes and Noble Bookstores (previous to and including 1970)

I was so sure that by undergoing surgery, the surgeon would be able to locate the source of the pain which was draining me physically and mentally - which no x-rays or blood tests could do. I was convinced that surgery was the answer - that the surgeon would be able to give me back a pain-free life.

When I look back to that time in my life - I was 38 at the time - my mentality of the human body could be compared to that of a mechanic fixing a car. Little did I realize, at that time, that our bodies are NOT cars!!!!

The moral of my story is...."Education is the key to surviving chronic pelvic pain." Bev said it so well, especially yesterday! I encourage you to read her pep-talk. I have one final thought to add:

WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW CAN HURT YOU: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER IN A DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP http://www.obgyn.net/women/articles/comfort/comfort006.htm

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: