Interesting info on adhesion/scar tissue & connective tissue disorders

Sun Jul 11 14:56:10 1999

I was reading through some information I have regarding chronic pain when I came across something interesting. Due to the fact that I have fibromyalgia as well as adhesions, I have done a little research. The article states; "We first have to understand when any soft tissue(muscle,tendons,nerves,facia,ligaments)are damaged,the body produces scar tissue. In the majority of the population this response will stabilize within four to eight weeks,depending on severity of injury. In many patients, especially those suffering from mixed connective tissue disorders(Raynauds,Fibromyalgia,Epstein-Barr,Chronic Fatigue,etc.),the scar response is amplified many times resulting in "keloid-type" scarring almost like cobwebs enveloping the muscles, nerves and joints of the affected areas. This suffocates the normal blood flow and nutrition to the area.Consequently, the tissues start to "dry-out", and the lubrication between the different structures decreases. This results in "rubbing" of the tissues, producing even more scar tissue and adhesions. The patient complains of stiffness, tightness, diffuse-muscle pain and trigger points. Their sleep patterns deteriorate. The body's ability to produce pain-killing endorphins and cortisoids is decreased. The patients own ability to modulate and control their own pain is further compromised if the "adhesions" restrict the normal function of the nerve to the muscle". I found this interesting, hope you did too. Sherry

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: