Re: feeling good and wondering why.

Tue Jul 20 08:00:32 1999

A vet! My vet brother has been most helpful in guiding me through my adhesions journey. I have the highest respect for vets...diagnosticians whose patients can't tell them what is wrong.

You are right...it does look a lot different when the shoe is on the other foot. I am an audiologist, working in a medical setting. My adhesion problems have been a powerful teacher in providing care. Is it goofy to say that I am grateful for the lessons I have learned via my adhesions? Most of my work is working with patients who have something in their person, i.e. hearing loss or ringing in the ears, that impedes their lives and that they really just want fixed...and the sooner the better. It seems to me that the first step in any care provider/patient relationship is to form a partnership in solving the problems. That established, working through the problems becomes a shared journey. My adhesions have taught me how to park my ego at the door.

Yet, as much as I know about how to make the patient/provider relationship work well, I still at times find myself befuddled, desperate, and combative when dealing with the medical personnel who treat me. I am curious to know ways of dealing with the system that have worked for others. These things I know about working the system: --That providers are not mind readers...the better and more concise information we can provide, the better will be our treatment. --Can't talk to the doctor on the phone? Don't stop with the receptionist. Ask to speak to the nurse. Cultivate a relationship with his nurse. The nurse is powerful. --To the best of your ability, be nice and express appreciation to everyone from the receptionist to the doctor. Learn names (Except when they have been total jerks. Then, give them another chance...if still bad...find another doc.) Simple phrases like "thank you for seeing me." or "I appreciate the work you do for chronic pain people. It can't be easy work for you." are good. --Clearly articulate the questions you want answered. Sometimes I get letters from patients with their questions. This is attention-getting. --Chronic pain patients are most doctors least favorite patients to treat. Doctors like to fix things. Any other ideas out there?

Sue...my best wishes for you as you resume your work. Mary

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: