Re: Laproscopic Surgery & Recovery

Wed Aug 18 10:35:31 1999

You're right. Hearing that a test is "just fine" sometimes makes you feel like they are saying this is all in your head. Something to remember is that even though these are 'Big Tests', they are also very limited in their ability to detect problems. There is no 1 test you can take which will pinpoint what is happening in your body. The fact that these tests don't show anything is actually a positive result. They are ruling out things that can be much more serious, so serious they could kill you.

The pain is hard to deal with, especially on a daily basis. Right now I am on Percoset for my post-op healing. I take 2 every 4 hours, and I still can feel uncomfortable.

I wish I could say that surgery will fix it. But I am sure you realize after being on this list a bit that there are no guarantees. What I can tell you is it will become easier. You need to adjust your life so that the pain isn't stopping you. For me, this meant quitting my stressful 9-5 job with the 1 hour commute. I stay at home now. I sleep until I wake up. I take things slowly, and I don't drive as much. I am finding work that I can do from home. I talk with my husband a lot about what is going on. I am taking a college course this fall! :) I accept my body, and work with it, not is spite of it. And I search for things which can help me, such as the possibility of a laparotomie with Seprafilm or Intergel.

Slow yourself down, and think of the things which are important to you, and make you happy. These things will get you through. And talk. Don't ever bottle things up.

I liken my adhesions now to Hercules battling the Hydra. Every time he cut the head off, two more grew in its place.

But even Hercules eventually slew that monster!!! ;P

Peace ~ Meg

At Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Denise wrote: >
>Meg, thanks so much for the information. I had my CT scan
>today..although I dont want to hear that I have something serious like
>ovarian cancer, I dread hearing 'your CT scan was just fine' like I have
>for the ultrasound, pelvic, bloodwork and barium enema. I just feel
>discouraged and am TIRED of the pain. I have a good friend with
>fibromyalgia and am very grateful I am not where she is in terms of
>constant, chronic pain everywhere..but this pain is an everyday thing. I
>have found that sitting makes the pain worse, and I do alot of sitting
>at work..advil does not seem to help so I end up taking half a vicodin
>in the morning and half in the afternoon for the pain..then feel out of
>it. I am scared that it will be adhesions and this pain will be long
>lasting, even after surgery..anyway...thanks again..I appreciate it.
>
>--
>SFDEE
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: