Adhesions in Pregnancy

Tue Aug 24 20:27:31 1999

Hi! I believe I had the adhesions present at my last laparotomy for at least 20 years, diagnosed before my first pregnancy. I say "believe" because I never had a laparoscopy I had one scheduled but became pregnant before the date came up. (June 21, 1978) My gyn told me in 1978 that the hysterosalpingogram indicated a mat of adhesions over the left side of my pelvis, plus a golf ball sized endometrioma between the left ovary and tube. The right side appeared unaffected (there was free dye in the pelvis) but endometriosis is almost always a bilateral disease (his words) and there were little tags of dye left in the right tube. (the left tube was completely blocked) I know that adhesions can not be diagnosed with certainty except by laparoscopy (or laparotomy) but I believe he was right because when I finally had a lap 20 years later my sigmoid colon (left side of pelvis) was covered with adhesions. At the time of the diagnosis in 1978 these adhesions caused no pain, nor did they cause any pain during the pregnancy. My uterus was pulled back and stuck yet I had no pain as it stretched to accomodate the pregnancy. (I had the workup because of infertility. I had no idea I had endometriosis. I was 27 years old and had been to several gyns.) So I would say from my experience that it is possible to have pelvic adhesions and have no problems during pregnancy from them, but every case is individual.

Chris S.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: