Re: ferred to an acupunturist/deep tissue to break adhesions?

Fri Sep 10 20:05:47 1999

At Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Michele wrote: >
>Can anyone tell me if they've had experience with good or not good pain
>management via acupunture.
>
>I have return adhesions on the left pelvic sidewall connected to the
>bowel and omental adhesions.
>
>The idea behind deep tissue massage is not only to losen but to BREAK?!,
>the adhesions. There is no anethetic. I'm trying to keep an open mind,
>but that sounds really painful. Heck, I'm in pain when no one touches
>my stomach. But, did it ever give temporary relief for any of you.
>
>Thanks,
>Michele

Michele,

I had acupuncture about 6 years ago after a previous laparoscopy. I too, have adhesions tethering the colon to the left pelvic sidewall and omentum. It did work for me to a degree that I could get off pain meds , however it was acupuncture with electrical stimulation. It sounds painful, but it is not. I think you will be surprised by the fact that it isn't and is actually quite soothing.(These needles are so thin, you hardly feel them then the pulsation really helps because heavily adhered tissue does not really have a good blood supply, and it feels really good to get some blood into that area. Pain signals seem to get blocked temporarily. I am not sure the reason. Actually, the tens units worn by many adhesion patients are an offshoot of acupuncture. Unfortunately, I have not had good luck this time after surgery. I am not sure whether it is the severity of the adhesions, or the fact that I have not located a good acupuncturist. You will probably know whether it is working or not right away. You will get a little relief after the first time. This will last for a short time. Then do it again. There will be longer and longer timespans between treatments. Did it rid me of all the adhesions. The answer is "No", but it did allow me to live with them more comfortably, and it may have broken down some. That was my experience. I wish I could find the same acupuncturist. I would try it in a heartbeat.

--
Anne Hayashi

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: