Re: Problems with fiber and juicing.

Sat Oct 9 14:15:57 1999

Hi Helen: Sorry I missed some things. To clarify: 1. I did mean fruits and vegetables. 2. I think people with IBS can benefit from juicing as well, but it is my understanding that those with IBS must maintain high levels of fiber in their diet which is different to those with IBD and bowel obstructions where fiber can irritate the problem. So I would think that a person with IBS would need to continue to eat lots of fruits and vegetables in order to mantain proper levels of fiber in their diet, but if they currently don't eat a lot of fruits and veggies (which most of us don't) or prefer to obtain their fiber from other sources such as whole grains, legumes et.,they certainly would benefit from the vitamins from juicing as well. Juicing for diabetics or other blood sugar disorders is also possible and good for you as well, but you need to follow your own personal dietary guidelines as most fruits and some veggies are high in sugar. I only meant to point out that replacing ALL fruits and vegetables with juicing may not be the best thing for all people. With my intolerence to fiber, juicing has become the ONLY way that I have been able to enjoy most fruits and vegetables. I was only able to eat bananas, pears and potatoes. It is my understanding that the vitamins that you get from juicing are far superior to supplements and are quickly absorbed into the body. I have been pleased to be able to taste so many things that I have not been able to eat in so long and the fresh taste is wonderful and for me there has been no intestinal pain!(I personally never thought I would like carrot juice, but it's pretty good!)Thanks Helen for your reply. Ginny

At Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Helen Dynda wrote: >
>Ginny,
>**A juicer is a great idea for those who need to stay away from foods
>that are high in fiber! Scroll down for other comments.
>
>>At Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Ginny King wrote:
>>Hey guys,
>>
>>A while back we got on the subject of intolerence to high fiber foods.
>>As fruits and veggies are such an important part of our diet and health,
>>many of us with fiber intolerence lack the nutritional benefits of both
>>of these. The pain in the bowels after eating these foods had caused me
>>to remove them almost entirely from my diet. So I have bought a juicer
>>and started extracting the juice from many different fruits and veggies
>>that I had not eaten for many years. So far the results have been good
>>(no pain and I had seen an increase in my energy level) and I have been
>>able to tolerate carrots, spinach, celery, oranges, apples and peaches
>>and hope to add more.
>
>>Juicing is not for everyone as you will retain the nutrients from the fruit when >you drink the juice..."
>
>**Ginny, can you clarify what you mean here? I am confused. You said,
>"...you will retain the nutrients from the fruit..." Don't you mean
>"from the fruit and vegetables?
>
>>to continue, you said, "...but you do remove almost all of the fiber and for most >people and those with IBS this would not be healthy."
>
>**Fiber is necessary for most people; but for people with IBS are you
>saying juicing would not be healthy for people who have IBS?
>
>>Also the juice is certainly not calorie free, and if you have blood sugar problems >you would need to watch what you drink. But for those of us with a tendancy >towards obstructions (from adhesions or other diseases) it might be a viable >option to add back some vitamins as well as some variety to our diets. Just a >thought.
>
>**Juicing is an excellent suggestion - not only for those with
>obstruction problems but also for anyone. Vitamins are so important in
>our diets!
>
>>Anyway, I hope everyone has a great weekend. Ginny
>
>--
>The 15th century proverb which summarizes the purpose of medicine is:
>* To cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always. *
>

--