About 'ligature' for Marri Elen & 'hernia' for Gina

Sat Oct 30 04:20:27 1999

Dear Merri Ellen and Gina,

Merri Ellen wrote: > Interesting development...I have a dip in one of my incisions. What
> used to be flat has now seemingly been sucked below the natural line of
> my abdomen, in direct alignment with a pull/stabbing pain.
> ---^-------V---
> This is my weak attempt at explaining what has happened.
> The ^ is where a ?suture? has resurfaced after 11 years. The V is where
> a half inch section has been dipped. Do you think this could be
> adhesions pulling on the incision line? Has anyone ever heard of such a
> thing?

As far as I know you described "normal" reaction of your body to ligature material. After my first obstruction I had some problems with my appendectomy stitch. The thread pieces had surfaced twice and I had to see surgeons. They told me that it's "normal reaction" and nothing to scare. "Some piece is surfacing, other one can sink". I asked if it was caused by adhesions and they told if to say about abdomen it's impossible to tell anything certainly. "It's just your reaction". Later I also read that it depended on reactivity of our body to outer agents. In a nutshell it's a variant of allergy. It can happens even in many years after operation like in your, Merri, case. Also, my brother underwent two operations and after several years ligatures surfaced from the leg, where adhesions don't "breed". But in other place he had a dip like you.

If our organism has been weakened so our immuno-reactions are weakened too or even perverted (like adhesions formation or ulcers during UC or Crohn's). As far as I remember the brother had those problems with the leg in late winter/spring when usually our immunity is decreased.

After each obstruction the upper part of my midline scar was keloid and quite rigid as well. BTW, in many sources I read there was the certain correlation between keloid scars and adhesion formation. :( I thought if certain our organ suffered from certain kind of allergic reaction the best option was normalising of the metabolism in that organ through providing detoxication of that area. So I tried to implement that idea. I knew if the idea was correct I would get some cleansing reaction. And I got it indeed. :) It was large and quite unpleasant rash near my all incisions (drain incisions too) for some days. It told me the method were working and also pointed to "most sick areas" as I thought then. :) I laid those compresses on all abdomen area for all night (before sleep) from July till maybe November and later had no problem with my incisions.

Now my midline stitch is soft and a half of that keloid has resolved and it got very soft by itself too. So now I even don't worry about it. Merry Ellen, I think if your incision is not painful you haven't to worry about your stitch too. :)

Gina wrote: > I have noticed that if I press on my incision scars, it feels like there
> is nothing under them! As if I could press straight thru into my
> middles! Must be where they cut through the skin, fat, etc and it hasn't
> all filled in yet. Now I see why it's so easy to get a hernia of bowel
> into the incision from underneath, and why they tell us to rest rest
> rest.

In nearly every surgical source among other reasons I always saw all authors underlined the main reason of a hernia - weakness of the muscles and insufficient blood circulation in the aponeurosis. I have a hernia in the incision after appendectomy and the lowest part of the midline stitch was quite weak. To be true, hernia was not my largest problem, but I understood I did not need it too. So I had to solve. Luckily I happened to read an interesting case description. They said about a man from Bulgaria. He was 70+ years and had two! serious hernias, but refused surgery. He started to do some physical exercises. In 3 or 4 years he won national Bulgarian prize in weight lifting in aged category! I looked at those exercises and was astonished. They were very simple. Moreover I had knew them for many years and maybe looked down at them before. :( :) But I believed the info then and also started to do simplest exercises and later they have been getting more complicated and effective. Day after day, step by step. Now I do various exercises without any fears and even can carry my wife (120 lbs) :) :) :)

I suppose moderated physical activity is one of two methods how to avoid a hernia or if a man has have it - how to avoid any trouble with it.

Best regards, Igor Gudymenko

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: