Re: Liver Function & Adhesion disorder & Igor!! :-)

Sat Nov 6 12:04:53 1999

Subject: Re: Liver function tests & Adhesions

I enjoy Igor's messages, information and challenges very much! there is great wisdom in his words...however they are perseved. Interestingly enough, his comments regarding the liver involvement should be heeded. Not saying that ALL persons who suffer with adhesions have liver involvement, but here my story and it does involve my liver.

I have suffered with adhesions for 14 years ( first invasive surgery ) and have had six surgery's to date. Last surgery April of this year.

Prior to the April surgery under Dr. Harry Reich NY. I had been on pain managment therapy for five years. That therapy involved a variety of pain medications. My pain management was under the direction of a very prestigious medical facility in our state of Wisconsin. I had no reason to question there methods or the routine. Again I trusted them as it was my only hope for any semblance of relief from my pain and I sure needed that!

I had also exhausted all my resources in recieving effective treament from DR's...so the pain clinic was it for me! For five years I was on a varity of medications, changing medications and dosages all the time. All of them eventually increasning in dosages then my becoming intolerant to it and them not being effective any longer. Another one replaced the last ones, soon I was on medication " cocktails ! " ( A mixture of medications that would hopefull reduce my symptoms by working together ) which ment to keep me groggy and nauseated and constipated and the to take new medications in an attempt to reduce the side affects of the ones I was on for pain predominently...untill I was taking about 22 pills a day....for about three of the five years!

No questions asked..and I pride myself with having some intellegent!!! I do feel that chronic pain among other things will lead to desperation and thus submission to our health care providers.

Not once in all that time was i subject to any blood workup...non! But then why should I have been. Non of my medications appeared to me to be of any real threat..no narcotics at all until closer to my last surgery. So why question there interactions...and my pain managment clinician would certainly be on top of that for me!!

When I presented to my local Dr. for my pre operative tests to have my surgery last April, Dr. Reich had requested a liver function test. I thought it odd, but when the results came back , I showed " liver toxicity!! " FROM YEARS ON MEDICATIONS!!! Talk about a shock! And had that not been detected, the next organ to be hit would be my kidney's...that is the progression of the body in ridding itself of toxins!! Now I had another concern..but that was to be short lived as I did have surgery coming up..and now my thoughts not only were on the chance of a possible cure from adhesions..but a repreve from medications so my liver could heal itself!!!

I went into that surgery last April knowing that even in the event the adhesions do return...I would be getting the opportunity for my liver to heal...and be off medications for awhile!! My God how I appreciate that...and I would recommend that all of you who have been on medications for over two years, ask for the liver function test. What difference would that make if you have no recourse for relief of your symptoms? Well, you sure could look into other means of pain managment or keep a close watch on the liver function and your medical care provider just might take your case more seriously in the event that you could just get worse....at his expense!!

I dont' know what you feel you would gain, if anything...but I do know what you could lose if your liver was showing toxicity!!

I still believe that Igor is on the right track in many areas and considering his medical esposure for adhesion treatment...he is to be commended for finding a way to deal with his condition! Doesn't mean it will work for all of us....but lately TEA ( any type of Tea ! )has been found to be an anti -inflammitory...interesting about natural healing methods isn't it!

I also like the way that Igor causes some to discuss issues...wether it be to agree or to disagree, he sure does stimulate ones thinking on adhesions and there treatment or lack of!

Lots of sad, and interesting things on this forum, and that is what it is for! I learn lots form this forum all the time, and am happy to see that it is helping others as well...long time in coming, and very much appreciated! It was less then a year ago that we had no way to communicate with one another at all, no way to know anything or anyway to deal with our medical concerns....this forum is an excelent mode of communicate and eduating adhesion sufferers....so keep on writing, challenging and sharing your thoughts and experiences for others to draw upon! It is our only chance right now if we are to progress in this disorder!!

I have also started a local " Adhesion Support " group here in my town. We have seven members that meet one night a month so far to just talk and offer support such as on this forum. just think..seven persons sufferring adhesions right here in my own town...so much for a " rare ' medical condition huh!!? Why not look for others who may live in your town...get the word out through the newspaper...word of mouth..people with endo as well as adhesions..mush the same disorder...and start to get together for support...we love it!! Just a thought as I noticed that Gina and Chris were both from the same city...many others may be as well..who knows until you ask!! Best regards..Bev

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: