Re: Liver Function Tests-Hep C

Sun Nov 7 07:27:31 1999

Hi, I had my 1st surgery in 1987 (gall bladder & appendix removal, which caused my 1st surgical adhesions). During that surgery I was given several transfusions which were tainted with hepatitis C, it was a few months before they began testing donor blood for that unfortunately for me.

I wasn't Dx with hep c until 1992 when a full physical and bloodwork revealed raised liver enzymes. Subsequent tests showed the enzymes to continue at that severely increaed level, all these years. I had the liver biopsy years ago and it showed a normal liver, but I also had the definitive hep c test and it was positive. It's possible I have a different form of Hepatitis since I have never had symtoms, my liver is normal and healthy (in biopsy anyway) and my enzymes are the only thing elevated in my liver function tests.

I had liver function tests before this recent bout of surgeries and after. They were exactly the same despite all of the narcotic pain pills I had been on for over 2 months.

I act as if I have hepatitis in that I don't share blood or anything that comes into contact with my blood. Years ago I researched hep c to make sure it wasn't communicable by marriage and there are differing opinions on that, but for the most part it's believed that hep c isn't passed by saliva or body fluids other than blood.

It's like living with a black cloud over my head because hep c is a fatal disease with no cure. I have known people who died within a year of contracting it, but have not known anyone like me who is believed to have it and even after 12 years shows no symptoms.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents on this topic. I have read that there are other things that can elevate the liver enzymes chronically (like CFS and EBS). Could it be possible I don't have hep c at all? I'd like to hope so. It's frustrating not knowing for sure. Even the Dr.'s are confused by my test results, but I see they still mark my charts with a big red HEP C. Gina

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: