Re: endo and adhesions

Fri Dec 10 21:20:54 1999

>I am interested in knowing how many women have or had endo and was told
that >it was removed and adhesions was your main problem. Of those women, did
you >see your pain related to the bleeding (cramps) reduced during the cycle but
>the pain continue for adhesions (i.e. adhesions on ovaries and pain occurs
>more during ovulation b/c of movement but this is not related to endo).

My first surgery this summer, the doctor said he didn't see any endo, just cut the adhesions that were there and put my bowel back in place. He did not removed any of the adhesion material for pathology though, so don't know if there was endo present in the adhesions, as there were in a previous surgery, or not. I was having some pain related to the bowel, mostly, and other bowel symptoms. The main pain I was having has not gone away, however, although the other symptoms have. And my period pain has actually gotten better since the surgery, even though he didn't treat any endo. I had intergel used as part of a clinical trial, so I can't help but wonder if the intergel also helped whatever endo was there -- assuming there was some in the adhesions, which I personally feel fairly sure about. He also found a "peritoneal pocket" which 95% of all the research I found says should be assumed to be because of endo unless proven otherwise. So even though he said he didn't see endo and that adhesions were the main problem, I strongly suspect there was still endo present.

>I have/had endo and during my last lap my doctor burned what endo he saw.
>For the next 2-3 months the cramps were awful. Now suddenly its not as bad
>as before for the last 2-3 months. I used to have premen cramps for 2-3
>weeks before my cycle and horrible during.

It can take a while for your body to heal. My first surgery where the surgeon burned off a severe amount of endo, it was at least 3 months before I began to feel like I was healed. The doctor likened it to third degree burns, just inside.

>
>He wants to do Lupron to control the pain but since the menstrual pain is
>getting easier to handle wouldn't Lupron be a waste? Also, as far as I
know >lupron would not be helpful for adhesions, right?
>

If there is no endo in the adhesions, it's not going to help, and if the adhesions are adhered to something, don't see how it could help that either. If you can handle it without, I'd do without the lupron. Although I did have a good experience with synarel, which is a GNRH agonist like lupron.

Sue Ann

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: